Newbie needs help with this find?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NCMN

Newbie needs help with this find?

Post by NCMN »

Hello,
Found this at a local gun shop and I wonder if anyone can help me with what it is. I think it is a M27 Tikka but it does not have the "SA" on the side of the barrel. I hope you tell it is a nice find cause I ended up buying it as my first Mosin Nagant.
Thanks Newbie from NC
Mountain Man

Re: Newbie needs help with this find?

Post by Mountain Man »

NCMN wrote:Image
Hello,
Found this at a local gun shop and I wonder if anyone can help me with what it is. I think it is a M27 Tikka but it does not have the "SA" on the side of the barrel. I hope you tell it is a nice find cause I ended up buying it as my first Mosin Nagant.
Thanks Newbie from NC
The sight looks like the one on my M-39 Finn. Definitely not a standard Mosin rear sight.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

That's a great find for a first mosin :thumbsup: It's a finn for sure, what type? more pics would be nice.
Is that your gun room in the back ground :o :vcool: :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very likely is an M27, pics of the entire rifle would help, it's positively a Finn.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

I think it is a M27 but I am not sure. The picture was taken at the gun shop so I could get some help from you before I bought it. I got nervous about someone buying it as it was on consignment so I came home and researched and went back and bought it. I will take more pictures tonight. The seller had 3 Finnish rifles for sale and this was the last one. I have alot of questions about it, but they can wait till I get more pictures loaded.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A good find, :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet find. I would kill to find one here in a shop. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:Sweet find. I would kill to find one here in a shop. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
Hmmmm....good to know, you never know when that sort of thing might come in handy :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Standard M91 unimproved Russian sight on a Tikka 1934 barrel. Is it a long rifle? If so M91 of Finnish descent. What ever it is a good find! Des you better watch it JYD will have you out doing his dirty work for Finns. :chuckles: :chuckles: Bill
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Guys remember I am completely new at this, just used the references here and took a shot. Crude measurement has rifle about 119 cm long, and barrel about 66 cm to receiver. It has a hooded front sight, and a stock with the rear sling hole filled and the sling attaching at the bottom instead of through the stock. Bolt is marked T and serial number marked out and new one on the handle matching the barrel.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It's an M27. Very nice first Mosin. I hope you had beginners luck and they sold it to you for $100.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just give us a full shot of the rifle showing it's front band and sight, then we can tell you what it is in a second.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Hooded front sight, do you mean like with ears around a blade sight I presume? That and the other things you have now said are pointing to a very good condition M27. Congrats for sure at any price below say $350 or so! Bill :thumbsup:
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Well I guess hooded is wrong, it has a blade on both sides with holes in them, I guess to make sight adjustments through. I will have to wait to tomorrow to take more pictures as I can not do it inside, as camera is junk. The first picture was with my phone. Well It was a lot cheaper than $350 thank goodness. Now I guess I will have to buy some ammo lol.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That would be the M27 all right, not every rifle will have a SA stamped on it, kind of surprising, but it happens.
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Here is the front, sorry for bad picture.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Another shot
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, as we figured, M27, and a very nice one at that, if you paid under $400 for that you got a Very Good deal :)
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Ok that was a lot of work, now please tell me this is not a bubba?