7.62X54r non steel ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
SA1911a1

Re: 7.62X54r non steel ammo

Post by SA1911a1 »

Here is the one of the reasons commercial shooting ranges don't want steel core ammo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Here is where I shoot. The owner is a swell guy, lets me shoot any time I want, lets me shoot any ammo I like. This was taken from about 120 yards from the berm. The guard cat keeps an eye on the place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

Nice firing lane. :) Hal is cool too.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Blueliner wrote:Happily I know of one outdoor range that does not care about steel core and an private indoor range I am a member of that does not like steel core but doesn't mind non-brass cases. This morning I was exploring gun-deals (awesome btw) and noticed some Russian lead core surplus from the 40s-50s that seems to fit the bill and is very cheap to buy. Not being an ammo expert I do have a question for those that are.

How reliable should ammo that is approaching 75 years old be? My wife wants to be able to run a lot of rounds through the Mosins but I don't want her to have to put up with a lot failed rounds. Any commentary is welcome. :) Thanks in advance.
Yeah age of ammo isn't neccesarily a factor in how it'll perfrom. Most of my surplus is 30 to 60+ years old. Most including this ammo is sealed in tins though the newer 54R is in a better version of sealed tin. I have 12 crates of various kinds of this this ammo (40s-50s strippered, non strippered, and 174gr heavy ball) I got from SGAmmo. The main problem I've found is not failed rounds, though I had one which was mostly a missing anvil in the cartridge, but they tend to be a bit hard on extraction. I've been told by a friend that collects older ammo and fires a lot of it that this might be cured by wiping the ammo down because of either some kind of protective coating the rounds have on them or simply a build up on the rounds from so many years of storage. I haven't done this yet but it may be true. I know I've heard from a few different people who bought it that they experienced the same issue. It's not a sticky chamber issue with my rifle anyway because I fired 5 rounds of this ammo and once I experienced the hard extraction I switched to newer (1985 factory 60/Lugansk surplus) it went away. I haven't shot any of the 174gr heavy ball or the non strippered 40s-50s (same ammo as the strippered) so I don't know if they'll have the same issue.
Blueliner

Post by Blueliner »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Yeah age of ammo isn't neccesarily a factor in how it'll perfrom. Most of my surplus is 30 to 60+ years old. Most including this ammo is sealed in tins though the newer 54R is in a better version of sealed tin. I have 12 crates of various kinds of this this ammo (40s-50s strippered, non strippered, and 174gr heavy ball) I got from SGAmmo. The main problem I've found is not failed rounds, though I had one which was mostly a missing anvil in the cartridge, but they tend to be a bit hard on extraction. I've been told by a friend that collects older ammo and fires a lot of it that this might be cured by wiping the ammo down because of either some kind of protective coating the rounds have on them or simply a build up on the rounds from so many years of storage. I haven't done this yet but it may be true. I know I've heard from a few different people who bought it that they experienced the same issue. It's not a sticky chamber issue with my rifle anyway because I fired 5 rounds of this ammo and once I experienced the hard extraction I switched to newer (1985 factory 60/Lugansk surplus) it went away. I haven't shot any of the 174gr heavy ball or the non strippered 40s-50s (same ammo as the strippered) so I don't know if they'll have the same issue.
That makes sense that over the years "something" has built up them, ages gets to all of us... :wink: I'll run a few through the M44 and see how they extract before I hand some to my wife. Wipe them off if need be. She isn't built quite as sturdy as I am and has trouble with sticky bolts, nasty slide springs, etc. Had to takeover custodianship of a P64 from her for that reason. Ya'know now that i think about it, I can probably get quite a few additions to the collection through that method. But I digress.

Thanks for the opinion. :D I am starting to keep records on ammo and firearms so that I can give answers like that as well. Off to order some :spam2: cans
luke9511

Post by luke9511 »

i was about to ask a question about the same topic as the op cause of the ranges here not letting people use fmj type ammo thanks for all the information!
Tempus Fugit