what can you guys tell me about this rifle?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
7point62

what can you guys tell me about this rifle?

Post by 7point62 »

Okay guys so last time you were really helpful and I starting to get the hang of this. I think its a finned 91/30 but is it legit?

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9758473/

Obviously its got the SA mark, D-marked barrel shank, and a potbelly stock, escutcheon plate and possibly a low wall receiver? Given these things shouldn't the barrel shank be Tikka?

Thanks for your help fellas,

Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: what can you guys tell me about this rifle?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is a rebuilt Finn capture post 1938 Soviet Tula 91/30. Finn two piece stock, SA stamp, the Finns captured tens of thousands of Soviet weapons during the Winter and Continuation wars, some of these were inspected, SA stamped and put right into the hands of Finnish soldiers, other later saw some rebuilding as this one did, or were used as parts. Nice looking rifle, they sell for around $200 today, maybe a bit more for this one as it's clean, and has a nice stock . Tikka did build Finnish 91/30's, but like every Finnish rifle it's bones were Russian, they just added a stock, barrel , sometimes a few small parts and a trigger job.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
HexNut

Post by HexNut »

VERY NICE rifle 7.62 ! :thumbsup: I am still searching for my first Finnish capture to add to the collection. Good find !
Firearms without ammunition are like teats on a boar hog. Useless!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I couldn't make out the year in the pic, 1938?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
7point62

Post by 7point62 »

Oh its not my rifle but its for sale on a forum I frequent. I would definitely buy it if I could inspect the bore for its condition and if it had a Finnish trigger job. Well and I also just bought an AR upper so its out of the question haha. I'm just looking to have a more keen eye for Mosins

Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The bore will be average to good, sometimes better, Finnish rifles were not marked with that SA unless they had a pretty good bore to start with. Finn trigger jobs are more common in Finnish built rifles like the M39, but it's not out of the question that some work might have been done on this rifles trigger.
Theodore Roosevelt
7point62

Post by 7point62 »

I see. If it doesn't have the nice trigger then to me its just a 91/30 with a funny looking stock and a few letters added to it haha

Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You buy one of these for the history in it, The Winter and continuation wars were a tiny country fighting against a huge one for it's very survival and they kept their freedom.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This is an instant buy if it is $150 or less. All history aside (and i don't say that lightly) it looks as it has a finn stock which is worth $100 or 125 alone. Then it is in nice shape and a finned capture. I have not found a captured 91/30 with a bad barrel. It is worth it almost on merit alone. Then add the history and it is almost priceless to have one in the collection. I have not been able to garner a finn stocked capture and feel luck to have 2- D, 41, and SA marked rifles. These are getting harder to find and more expensive everyday. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

if i had the money, i would buy it as well. for the history and the fact it is in great shape. :) also, just ask the seller if they could email you some bore shots. it might not be as good as in person, but it is a start.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well i can tell you that is a hard shot. I likely am doing it wrong and i can't ever get a good one. I keep trying though. I have to say, I have a M38 that i consider a poor bore. It has thin rifleing and they look alittle rounded. At any case not as good as most of my weapons. It is such a great shooter that it rivals the 91/30 that i use almost all the range trips i go on. If the sellar says the bore condition is good or above or even fair and above i would buy it. If you are looking for spotless shiny bores then get a 44 Izhevsk or any of the newer year ones. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
7point62

Post by 7point62 »

desdem12 wrote:Well i can tell you that is a hard shot. I likely am doing it wrong and i can't ever get a good one. I keep trying though.
Are you referring to taking pictures of the bore? Its pretty easy to be honest. All you need is a basic digital camera and some good light. You can't really tell much about barrel condition just by examining the bore....this is the one that matters:
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... G_1481.jpg
Someone was selling a bunch of M39s at some point on gunbroker and they had a really great method of taking bore pictures. It looked a piece of plywood or some kind of sheet material with a hole cut in it just enough to allow the muzzle to protrude. This "sheet' filled up the entire frame of the picture and so with light added from the breech the camera focuses down the bore perfectly.

Anyway, this rifle started at 325 shipped and no he is down to 225 + shipping. At that price I'll just buy another M39 lol

Bill
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is just a tad high...... :beek: I agree on the M39. No way 225 plus shipping. Maybe not even 150 plus shipping. Market is crazy right now. I would let him sweat it at that price. He already cut a hundy, he will cut more later if he wants to sell it. :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There's that irritating word again. What is a hundy?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

"He already cut a hundy"
I assumed he meant the man had farted, some regional slang for farting is what I thought right away.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

slang for $100
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sorry BD i will clean up my bad country anglish :thumbsup: :lol:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well, alrighty then:P
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:Sorry BD i will clean up my bad country anglish :thumbsup: :lol:
Here I thought you were starting a new language , I even used it in a sentence, clear the room everybody, Bob just cut a hundy. :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well at least he didn't cut a hundy and a half. :lol: :lol: