gun oil

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

gun oil

Post by jeremyb »

I tried looking for this, but if you put in the word oil in the search it pulls out everything.. I think I read some where that I can use motor oil on my guns to protect aginst rust..ect.. Reg gun oil is too much $$.. Any thoughts.. I have several containers of mobile 1 just sitting around.

ok to put in the bore? just run a dry patch down before shooting?
jb
ponycarman

Re: gun oil

Post by ponycarman »

I've heard of alot of people using transmission fluid. Even some police departments. I've already got a quart waiting for when I run out of hoppe's gun oil :).

Check this article. Its very interesting and informative about firearm lubrication.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

The best you can do for protecting the metal, short of grease, is Break Free CLP. It's not sufficient for bore cleaning, but it is a good follow up after the bore solvent of your choice. If you plan to shoot the rifle in the near future then follow up wet patch with a dry patch. If you are going to put away the rifle for years then stop after a wet patch. I have rifles with that staff on that I haven't touched in 15 years and no signs of rust. It also works very well on cleaning bolt and the action.
There are home made substitutes made form transmission oil, synthetic motor oil and other chemicals etc. Personally I try to cut down on chemicals' contact with my skin. CLP was used by the hundreds of thousands of people in our military for decades, so I assume it passed some kind of health risk test.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Synthetic motor oil is perfectly fine, and a bottle will last too long to count. Use it since you got it. I love Break Free also, it's about 4 or 5 bucks per ounce.
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

I've heard that Trans Fluid is great, been using Ed's Red for cleaning has Dexron in it. Been tempted to use grease as my K31 bore is sooo nice! :D
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

bunkysdad wrote:Synthetic motor oil is perfectly fine, and a bottle will last too long to count. Use it since you got it. I love Break Free also, it's about 4 or 5 bucks per ounce.
You can get Break Free in pint, quart and gallon size jugs.
target

Post by target »

Ive been using 3in1 oil for a loooooong time. Not expensive and it works. I just go into the safe every other month and oil the bores back up. I've heard that guys use motor oil and I imagine that it works very well provided you don't drown the gun in the stuff and make a mess. Never thought about using transmission fluid.

My dad on the other hand wipes his firearms down once or twice a year. He has a Remington 700 he got before I was born and besides worn blue on the bolt handle it looks brand new. He doesn't even bother with cleaning them... I think he might be magic. That Rem 700 has been used to kill more deer than most guys can imagine.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

3 in 1 oil has been around for years and was used for everything from Sewing Machines to John Deere tractors on our ranch before WWII.Long before WD40 and multi-grade oils, we used it on guns.I use Hoppe's EliteGun oil along with others like Break Free CLP and good ole #9 products.The Hoppe's Elite is advertised to repel dirt and carbon with corrosion protection with "thin coat"long lasting technology. Science strikes again(the pocket book). :D JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I use USGI light weapons oil , I have quarts and gallons of the stuff, got some heavy oil also, and cans of GI grease. Car motor oil will work fine, it's formulated to withstand far more than your rifle will ever give it, and a quart will last years. Try for the lightest you can find, or you can cut it with a little keroscene. Trans fluid will work also.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

You can still find this stuff at Army/Navy Surplus stores for well under $10/qt. I have had this qt. for 4 years and still have 3/4qt.

Last edited by finloq on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
finloq

Post by finloq »

Oops, JYD beat me to it.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wow, 80's, that's new stuff, mine are all 60's and 70's dated, even a 50's in there I think. $4.25 for a quart of gun oil sounds like a great deal, a lot better than $4.25 x5 for the trucks oil change :) assuming you buy the cheap oil that is :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

Well, there you go. Good enough for US Military from: M1 to M16A1.
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

I'll look around and see if I can find some of that USGI light weapons oil...

thanks

jb
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Gunbroker, ebay, surplus stores.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Target you are right. If you use motor oil, you gotta go easy on it if you plan to handle it much, or you will have a mess. I have been wanting to mix up some Ed's Red, but I don't need it honestly. I have more crap already than I can shake a sick at.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cut it with lamp oil or kerosene to thin it out some, motor oil for cars is designed to be clingy.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

I just buy 3n1 oil as I need it. A little goes a long way. 1 bottle lasts me about 6-8 months depending how much shooting I do.

Ive used the USGI stuff before but didnt like it. That's why the USGI stuff I got just sits on the shelf and looks pretty.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Hoppes No 9 gun oil is good stuff and has never hurt the wood on a rifle or grip either when rubbed into it.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933