New York Times Article about Kalashnikov Production

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Buckhead

Re: New York Times Article about Kalashnikov Production

Post by Buckhead »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Buckhead wrote:From the left New York, I would not read it or any of the other Liberal rags. :big shock:
More of a Washington Post kind of guy ? :lol:
I meant to say from the left leaning New York Times. I don't have anything against most people from New York or any places else in the good old USA.
I just can't stand the left leaning Media. But I do like Fox. I bet that's a :big shock:
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Buckhead wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Buckhead wrote:From the left New York, I would not read it or any of the other Liberal rags. :big shock:
More of a Washington Post kind of guy ? :lol:
I meant to say from the left leaning New York Times. I don't have anything against most people from New York or any places else in the good old USA.
I just can't stand the left leaning Media. But I do like Fox. I bet that's a :big shock:

The thing that I found the most interesting about the AKs, and had to do some research to convince myself was true, is that if you bend your own receiver there's no FFL transfer. And it's completely legal. Absolutely, completely legal. Just don't make them for sale, and don't drill them and make an NFA weapon.

For a crew like is around here, who are used to taking a gun apart at the drop of a hat just to see what it looks like inside, that's a no brainer. It isn't necessarily any cheaper because you have to gather some tools. But if you have a decent mechanic's garage you've got most everything except the bending jig anyway. And if you're really cheap you can make a jig out of a few pieces of flat iron.

It's no wonder these things are pouring out of hovels by the thousands in villages in this-that-the-other-stan. A bit of high tech parts manufacturing to make the basic kit, and you can stamp them out - working if ugly - in a finishing plant in the target region with a 5 lb sledge and a jig made from rusty car parts.

MB
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I think a few members have made their own from parts kits, I recall something about it from several years back.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I think a few members have made their own from parts kits, I recall something about it from several years back.
There are a few places that sell the tools to make some fine ones. But the tools aren't necessary. They just help.

You really can use a few piece of flat iron and angle iron plus some bolts to make the jig, then hammer the receiver into shape with a 2x4.

Set the rivets with a ball peen hammer.

Probably wouldn't last more than a few months of heavy use, but by then chief mumbo-jumbo might very well be out of power and you could have your guys set up a proper factory.

I was astonished at how simple it was. Now, turning the barrel, machining the trigger group, you might have trouble making those parts in a jungle or a mountain cave. But if you can get the parts there a decent jr high school shop class can make good AKs.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

:?

I did not know they still had shop classes anymore in American schools.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Buckhead wrote: I did not know they still had shop classes anymore in American schools.
Maybe thats part of our problem!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a couple already so I am not looking to make more :) Not yet anyway.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

mrb7 wrote:
Buckhead wrote: I did not know they still had shop classes anymore in American schools.
Maybe thats part of our problem!

That and this Politically correct bull S###.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Schools rarely teach anyone to do anything usefull anymore.
Theodore Roosevelt
Detour Rd.

Post by Detour Rd. »

the dark humor is that the RUSSIANS are now arming the American people.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: , Oh I don't know, yes they sell a lot of weapons here but so do the Chinese, Italians, and the Romanians. The AR's are made here in the states, as well as many sporting weapons.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I really like my Saiga x39, if I had the money I'd buy 19 more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

one winning lotto ticket away...:)
Theodore Roosevelt