price

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

price

Post by millman »

What would you guys pay for a 1942 M38 Swedish Mauser. I found one for $450, but don't want to pay that much. What would you offer?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: price

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I paid $135 for mine in 1996, it's the exact rifle down to the date, these days the going price probably is in the $400 range, but I have not looked of late. If I wanted one I would go $250-$300, mine is a nice shooter even with gallery loads, all I have left in 6.5 Mauser ammo.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think that might be a good range to start. $250 to $350. Not much more unless it was really nice or "I want it"!.....and.....you know you want it!

Go get it Millman, we need some more photos here! :lol:

Dolk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

dolk wrote:I think that might be a good range to start. $250 to $350. Not much more unless it was really nice or "I want it"!.....and.....you know you want it!

Go get it Millman, we need some more photos here! :lol:

Dolk
Thanks guys. I agree that we need new photos, but I can't see paying more than $325, I think.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

For $450 it should be in MINT condition, EVERYTHING matching.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Hlavinka wrote:For $450 it should be in MINT condition, EVERYTHING matching.
I am gonna go look at again tomorrow. Last night I was dealing with him on a .22 that my BIL was wanting, and I didn't give the M38 more than a cursory look. I want to say it is matching, but I wouldn't call it mint. Thanks MH.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Thats the going rate for swedes here in overpricedlandia. A little over my head
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What gets me about it is that my M96 was only $250 a couple of years ago.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

It looks to me that the ASKING prices are in the 450-900 range but I wouldn't pay over 350 myself unless it was really special.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I'm gonna check another place this afternoon, that had one a few months ago. Maybe I'll find a better deal.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Longcolt44 wrote:It looks to me that the ASKING prices are in the 450-900 range but I wouldn't pay over 350 myself unless it was really special.
+1

With the economy the way it is & the way it will continue, You should see desperate sellers out there looking to feed their families, pay the mortgage & put gas in the tank. It's a great opportunity to acquire a nice gun for sale from someone in need of hard to come by money.

In those situations I will offer them a good market value, pay cash & show them respect & let them know the gun is going to a good home. Sometimes, I offer the seller to buy it back for the same price when they have the cash.

I had a guy 2 years ago selling a few milsurps and ammo. His range for the lot was around $150... I gave him $280 cash. He was thrilled as was his girlfriend & I still got a fair deal. If he dealt with anyone else he would have walked away with $100 if he was lucky & some vulture would have scored a deal. It's all about being in the right place at the right time & making someone's day... And new toys for me. But what I like best is how it makes me feel good to help someone out.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Checked out the other place, and found a few interesting, but overpriced items. Nothing to make me want to spend $. I think I will just hold off a while and let the gun money stash grow. Sadly there won't be any new gun pics from me this week, unless I can get that m38 Swede for about $300.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The man who trucked my Hungarian PU home from Cambodia still has the option to buy it back, last I heard from him was 1996. $900 for a Swedish Mauser? You could get one of SAMCO's brand new Persian Mauser's for less than that :shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt