First Shoot with my Forst Mosin... one issue

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BIGChris454

First Shoot with my Forst Mosin... one issue

Post by BIGChris454 »

She shot extremely well. My two friends, who own Mosins aswell, were very jealous of the accuracy. Straight and true there was nothing I couldn't hit. Absoluely loved it. I only had two problems with feeding. The rims seemed to get stuck behind one another causing you not to be able to chamber the next round. Is this common? How can I prevent it? My buddies we tried to see if his would do it if we made and it did, but it took some effort to cause the failure. So I am not sure if its a problem with mine, or his is just built better or what. Any help or tips are appreciated.
MosinNagantnut

Re: First Shoot with my Forst Mosin... one issue

Post by MosinNagantnut »

What type is it...ie: M38, M44, 91/30 etc
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Oh sorry that would probably help. Its a 1943 Tula 91/30
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Welcome to Mosinitis :D :D :D

It may be a loading issue: If you handload, put the first round in and move rim towards boltface as far as possible.
The second round should be inserted with the rim a little forward of the first round rim, then moved back towards the boltface.
Same with #3, #4 and #5, so that they are kind of staggered forward, with the top one ahead of all of them.
That way the rims glide on the body of the next round forward into the chamber and do not catch the next rim.

If you use a clip, it needs to be bent a little forward towards the chamber for the above to happen.

I hope this is clear enough....
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

If that's what it is, you can get practice with spent rounds and release them by opening the magazine door to do it again, don't use the bolt....pse.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Thank you for the welcome. i am already looking at my next purchase. :) So was the rifle intended to be loaded this way. As previously stated, my friends has never had this issue. I have personally put hundreds of rounds through it with no jamming issues. Did he just get lucky that his rifle seems to not care how you load it? And to clarify I hand load.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

So I understand this is happening with your first shooting a new one? Or did you already put hundreds of rounds through it?
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

You might have a problem with the interruptor. Its supposed to prevent rim lock. You might just have to be a little more forceful with the bolt. I've intentionally made my rifle rim lock before to see how if it works. It did but it took a stronger whack to the bolt to strip off the next round. Welcome to the forum and the mosin addiction :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Its happening with mine. I just got it. I have never had this problem with my buddies 91/30 that I have put hundreds of rounds through. I was wondering if he got lucky, in the fact he has never had to load rounds a certain way. Also if the loading procedure you suggested is the proper way or just a work around for my problem? Thank you.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Loading it that way to avoid rimlock and strain on the action was shown to me by our gunsmith. He said the tolerances with different actions especially in refurbs may vary a lot. I am not sure using brute force to move rim over rim is the right way to do, it would not feel good for me , liking smooth action. But that may be in the eye of the beholder.
I am so used loading this way, I don't even think about it. My first one is a Tula, too, I had that problem once or twice before I went to the GS, and haven't had it again, since then. In neither one of our Mosins :D :D :D
Rimless ammo does not have that issue.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Oh, in case you have a .22, I have a 1022 with a 10 round mag. They are loaded backwards into the mag, and the top round pushes the rim of the one underneath to the back as well.....you may get a FTL if the rim slips over.
That's probably why the GS acted like he did.
And the tolerances in a 1022 Ruger are pretty tight.
So you might have a Tula with tighter tolearances than your friend has. If the problem does occur again, with the proposed way of loading, you might have a mechanical problem for a GS. :2cents:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The problem is that your interrupter is not holding the shells in the magazine far enough down so the one on top clears. You can tweak on the little tab that hold them down, so it holds them down further, or you can just load like was described above. Here is a pic to illustrate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

On all my "shooters", I swapped the regular magazine out with Finn M39 magazines. I keep the original mags boxed and labeled. They have like little dimples in them that help to bump the rounds apart so they don't lock up. Also clean out your interuptor really good, it may have gunk built up in it's groove. :thumbsup:
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Thanks for the advice. I will try that and let you know.
EJTHor

Post by EJTHor »

Sirex wrote:On all my "shooters", I swapped the regular magazine out with Finn M39 magazines. I keep the original mags boxed and labeled. They have like little dimples in them that help to bump the rounds apart so they don't lock up. Also clean out your interuptor really good, it may have gunk built up in it's groove. :thumbsup:
LOL, I the ONLY Mosin I have that rim locks is my M39. Go figure.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Thanks, Millman for the picture, that certainly made my description clear. :D
I found an old explosion drawing of a 91 showing the ammo inside the magazine in that configueration, too. Have to resize it to bring it here.I would not want to mess with that #11 piece and tweak it, if the proposed loading works. Don't fix, what.......
I don't know what you guys do, stripper clips or handload, but pushing in and moving back is really a non-think effort for all the people I shoot with, we don't know any other way and we don't use stripper clips, as we never thought about getting some.

Anyway, we do now, already talked to my son. We'll get a can of those on clips :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :biggrin: and will report.
The can ammo pictures look like Millman's drawing, too.

I ran some wood tip duds through all my/our Mosins and had no trouble if loaded in the prescribed way, but my 32 Ishevsk and my 43 Tula would not take it any other way, the others protested, obviously because of looser tolerance on the interruptor. So I did not close the bolt, but pulled back, after opening the magazine, to be sure I did not bend anything, like the follower. The Mosins may be inexpensive, but a gunsmith can be rather expensive :big shock: , and I know that.....from my own experience. :big shock:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D :D :D Here is the additional picture :D :D :D
Peter1905.jpg
Which one is the 1891 first Mosin-Nagant?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

:welcome: Big Chris 454
I all way's load all my Mosins with each rim ahead of the other, and never had a problem.
that is how I was told to load when I got them and it has all way's worked. But also make sure
the gun and bolt are good and clean. A dirty chamber and bolt can make for a short day at
the range. Good luck with it and have fun.
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

You can tweak the interrupter slightly to help stop this. It just involves bending the little tab inwards slightly more to hold the round deeper in the magazine.

There's a good video on YouTube showing how to do it.

When you get it perfect, you don't need to order the rounds any particular way. Just shove them in. It even works on stripper clips loaded any way.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BostonMike wrote:You can tweak the interrupter slightly to help stop this. It just involves bending the little tab inwards slightly more to hold the round deeper in the magazine.

There's a good video on YouTube showing how to do it.

When you get it perfect, you don't need to order the rounds any particular way. Just shove them in. It even works on stripper clips loaded any way.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
BostonMike is correct. If the interrupter is working right, there is no need to load the rounds in any specific order. The rim in front loading is basically for the non-mechanical folks, or those that just don't want to mess with the proper fix.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis