Russian Anti Aircraft Battery

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Re: Russian Anti Aircraft Battery

Post by zeebill »

Starshina wrote:It's sniper school. I seen this photo with article. Don't remember where.
Yeah this photo has been floating around for years. I have seen it several times with many different types of posts over the years. Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bunkysdad wrote:I thought these were interesting pictures.
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Looks like a copy of a WW1 poster the Brits had of the Hun in Belgium.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Piece from German aircraft windshield form WWII and some 1911 grips carved from a windshield passed down from my grandfather who operated a quad .50 in Europe.
:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I remember you showing these, very nice :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

zeebill wrote:
Starshina wrote:It's sniper school. I seen this photo with article. Don't remember where.
Yeah this photo has been floating around for years. I have seen it several times with many different types of posts over the years. Bill :wink:
That would be true for many pictures that get posted on forums. :) I often see pictures being posted that I saw in books many many years ago.

I know this one was posted here at RMNF about 8 years ago and there was a big discussion how effective they might be . I posted that Col Scott said in "God Is My Copilot" that he had mowed down several columns of Japanese troops along the Burma road who were shooting at him with rifles and I said that it would seem to be much more risky for the rifle shooters than the pilots. Of course with so many shooting someone may get lucky and hit the plane. Col Scott did mention that once his plane got hit in the radiator and the engine seized up before he got back to his base.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just think about what it must be like wherever those bullets are raining down .
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Just think about what it must be like wherever those bullets are raining down .
Col Scott's P-40 had 6 fifties and slowed the plane down when they were fired.

Here is a page from an A-20 squadron's book that shows the firepower of their 50 cal machine guns and how catastropic it was for the enemy ground troops.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock: to think that they didn't even have the GE miniguns the spooky's used during 'nam
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

There were varying numbers of 50 cals on the A-20s. Some had as many as 9 that fired foward. Some had fewer, and some had a 75 mm canon plus a couple of 50s that fired forward.

Here is their "Spook" :) :

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I wonder what happened to Spook I?
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I wonder what happened to Spook I?
The A-20 named the 'Spook' had serial number 41-109.

"According to official Army records, 41-109 crashed on take-off on January 26, 1943 and the pilot, Lieutenant Williamson, was killed; the gunner returned to duty. Cause of the accident was a tire blow out on take-off."
Last edited by Hombre on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shit, I think I just watched a tire blow out crash on the TV the other day, maybe last days of WWII series.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Shit, I think I just watched a tire blow out crash on the TV the other day, maybe last days of WWII series.
I have seen a number of records that showed that squadrons lost nearly as many pilots to accidents (counting their training period in the states) as were lost in combat.

My squadron lost two pilots to accidents in the 6 month period we were in Germany '57/58.
Simo

Post by Simo »

you are all wrong, that is proper procedure to achieve a group at 100 arshins.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Eddystone06 wrote:you are all wrong, that is proper procedure to achieve a group at 100 arshins.
That would be about 77 yards. If you wait till the planes get that close their props will chop off your head before you can blink an eye.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hombre wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Shit, I think I just watched a tire blow out crash on the TV the other day, maybe last days of WWII series.
I have seen a number of records that showed that squadrons lost nearly as many pilots to accidents (counting their training period in the states) as were lost in combat.

My squadron lost two pilots to accidents in the 6 month period we were in Germany '57/58.
I recall hearing that about the aircraft during the Great War, a new experiment every other week.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Hombre wrote:
Eddystone06 wrote:you are all wrong, that is proper procedure to achieve a group at 100 arshins.
That would be about 77 yards. If you wait till the planes get that close their props will chop off your head before you can blink an eye.

HAHA oh man good one!!!
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The propellers do look a lot bigger in person than they do in pics.
Theodore Roosevelt
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

I am going to try to find the article where I saw this picture, sometime next week. It had something to do with sniper training. Pictures can be mislabeled. They look more like the troops in training then troops in the field. Perhaps there was an air strike on the town in the vicinity of the school.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

About the only real possibility of hitting a plane like that would be if he was coming straight at you.......

I would not want to take a 91/30 to a napalm fight.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Starshina wrote:I am going to try to find the article where I saw this picture, sometime next week. It had something to do with sniper training. Pictures can be mislabeled. They look more like the troops in training then troops in the field. Perhaps there was an air strike on the town in the vicinity of the school.
Certainly that is a possibility. In the articles I saw they start out talking about sniper school but then start showing pictures in battle areas. Then this picture shows up with the caption " Snipers Division Lieutenant FD Lunin lead volley fire at enemy aircraft"

Here are several sites where I saw that caption:

http://cas1961.livejournal.com/834997.html

http://topwar.ru/16560-sovetskiy-snaype ... mahta.html

http://waralbum.ru/37553/

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/viktor3951 ... 560?page=3

There are several more that you can find by googling that phrase in Russian.
Last edited by Hombre on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.