First Mosin Ever... for me. (PICS)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BIGChris454

Re: First Mosin Ever... for me. (PICS)

Post by BIGChris454 »

millman wrote:
BIGChris454 wrote:
millman wrote:There are some options of adding scout style scopes that do not run afoul of the rules of the forum. These are totally reversible. When one starts into the realm of drilling and retapping, we draw the line. Do a search for an S&K Mount, or a Darryl's Mount. These should get you where you want to go.
Cool. Thanks for the tip. And again I didn't fully read the rules ( I know thats not an acceptable reason for breaking them, but I have now.), but I apologise if I was misunderstood. I in no way intened to destroy or mangle this rifle. I just didn't know if there was a way to reconvert it properly. I now know there isn't. 8-)
Not a problem. Welcome to the forum. If we can be of any assistance, we will be.
Couldnt find Darryl's Mount, but the S&K looks nice.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

BIGChris454 wrote:
millman wrote:
BIGChris454 wrote:What do I need to do to make it a Sniper again?
Don't do that. It is an EX-sniper for a reason. Leave it as is and enjoy it. Very nice first Mosin.
Wow. does any one think I should retuen it to it's former glory? Like I said I had planned on putting a scope on it before I found this out. Opinions? :?:
Welcome to the forum, I have been shooting a long time Chris, shot everything from flint muskets to the most modern scoped rifles . The PU sniper is a historical relic with a fascinating history during WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and more recent conflicts, however owning one I can tell you that compared to any modern sporter with western optics the PU is a piece of shit. The M91/30 is a fine rifle, the sights are easy to use, you can rapidly acquire a sight picture even with less than stellar eyesight, and the design is rugged enough to survive almost anything. The PU's optics are Iron Curtain 1940's crap, the scope mount is less than optimal,as one would expect as the weapon was never designed to accept a scope in the first place. The Soviets made it work despite this because they had to, it's what they had to work with, but any US sniper would have gone into open rebellion being issued such. You are not missing anything with that ex sniper, you have a good rifle, you want a good "sniper" get a Remington, Winchester, Sako, or Savage ( among other fine makers) sporter and mount some decent western optics on it, or Japanese ( Nikon) and you will have a better shooter than the PU ever was.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BIGChris454

Post by BIGChris454 »

Thanks for your input Junk. I think I am going to leave it as is for a while and het a scout set up for it later. I have never used the pu setup so I didn't know.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice find Bigchris. I am still looking for an ex sniper. That one is nicely marked. I also fall in the don't change it side. No need as it is cool just like that. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

Welcome Big Chris, as you can see we have a very helpful & friendly bunch of guys here, many with strong opinions to keep things lively. I was just talking to a fellow this morning that recently returned from Iraq. He mentioned he saw captured Mosin Nagants and even the sniper versions there along with many other old "obsolete" weapons. Yup, these rifles are still creating history even while we are preserving it.
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Nice rifle,thanks for showing it but they are right. It is an ex-sniper for a reason what ever that might be you got very lucky.Good luck with all your rifles.I hope you find a nice one. :D JGC