matching swede m96

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lsull

matching swede m96

Post by lsull »

I found this matching elm stocked swede the other weekend. this is the first one I've ever owned and I'm looking forward to some range time soon hopefully, to see how she shoots! I've never heard of anyone complaining about poor accuracy from one of these :D so I shouldn't be disappointed. the stock disk on this says it has a 6.49 bore if I'm not mistaken in interpreting it, and it looks to be in excellent condition. :thumbsup: let me know what you think of her. if I get a chance to shoot it this weekend I will get some pictures of the targets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tincansailor

Re: matching swede m96

Post by tincansailor »

Very nice! :thumbsup: Got one too, 1906 matching. You won't be disappointed at the range :D
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Have you got some better pics of that hand guard? It, from the last photo, looks awfully light colored vs the stock.
Is the muzzle solid or threaded? Not enough detail in the pics to tell.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
lsull

Post by lsull »

thats the best pics I've got for now. the light was shining in through the window and it made the handguard look a lot lighter than it actually is. the muzzle is not threaded.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

lsull wrote:thats the best pics I've got for now. the light was shining in through the window and it made the handguard look a lot lighter than it actually is. the muzzle is not threaded.
The threaded barrel says it was replaced along the line. THAT IS GOOD. Explains what I see on your disk. The disk is not marked in the small pie either 1,2, nor3. Now, we have to assume the disks are real or not. Up to each person. But, I see a spot on the disk pic that makes me tend to think it was the last disk on the rifle. It says to me new or new condition barrel. It should shoot very well indeed.
lsull

Post by lsull »

that is some good news old outlaw! the small pie 1,2or,3 is barrel condition isn't it? no mark being new and 3 being (for the swedes) poor.
I'm foaming at the mouth to go shooting with it. might take my k31 and compare the 2 he he.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

lsull wrote:that is some good news old outlaw! the small pie 1,2or,3 is barrel condition isn't it? no mark being new and 3 being (for the swedes) poor.
I'm foaming at the mouth to go shooting with it. might take my k31 and compare the 2 he he.
Contrary to what many will tell you, 3 is not poor. Period. It is an old wives tale that is totally false. A 3 means it basically has spots that are
questionable at the time the inspector looks down the barrel. NOW, copper build up and a rifle not regularly cleaned will not look that good to the inspector. The Swedes were very smart, their berdan primers were not corrosive primers. Plus, their inspections were regularly scheduled and
very meticulous. If one were to grade as far worse than a three, they might well replace the barrel for that or a worn bore diameter.

I as well as the big time Swedish collectors here and the bigger Swedish collectors in Sweden will tell you, compare a 3 with any other Mauser bore anywhere. Compare one against a Mosin. If you do, you will never look at the difference again. A 3 would be your Holy Grail!

Here is how one of my 1899 Swedes shoots. Oh yea, it's a 3 by the way. 6.51 bore dia.

That is 5 rounds at 50 yards from a rest. Called a blanket over an up turned wooden range stool. At 200 yards I can barely see the 8 inch black circle on my other targets. But, I can hit it. Nuff said about any 3 rating on a Swede.
lsull

Post by lsull »

:thumbsup: :vcool: you can't ask for a better shooting rifle than that! I hope to see that kind of group! what ammo were you using? home rolled? I am really impressed with the trigger pull on mine also. veeery nice! are they all smooth like that?
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

lsull wrote::thumbsup: :vcool: you can't ask for a better shooting rifle than that! I hope to see that kind of group! what ammo were you using? home rolled? I am really impressed with the trigger pull on mine also. veeery nice! are they all smooth like that?
Not all as smooth on trigger pull. Yours should be good as I read it as basically a new rebuilt rifle. But most are real good pulls.
No, ammo right now is Prvi 139 FMJ or SP. Here are my sources. I live in Iowa so for 200 rounds per order I need someone close.
Best freight and usually available. Usually best price. = http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-amm ... 55-swedish

Second choice back up. = http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx? ... 5x55+Swede

SG is from Oklahoma, Aim is Ohio.

Hope this helps you out.
Steve
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sully, if you reload, PM me for 6.5x55 recipes.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mine is a two or three also, and the bore looks brand new, that's some dam good shooting !
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The Swede Mausers never seem to fail to impress in the accuracy department. 100 yards over the rail of the back deck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
lsull

Post by lsull »

dam fine shooting millman! I remember when you got that beauty. that stock is pretty with those stripes :Drool1: it shoots as good as it looks to.

after I bought mine I was looking at a few different websites and they were showing some maple stocked ones. those look amazing :Drool1: they have amazing price tags to :D

I do reload millman. I need to get a 6.5x55 die and start getting brass. (and time to do it) :D I bought a 6.5x51jap die a month ago and haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Anything stocked with maple is going to have a hefty price tag, you should see what it does to the cost of muzzleloaders were maple is a popular option.
Theodore Roosevelt