8m3 Ammo

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Lmbass14

8m3 Ammo

Post by Lmbass14 »

Newbie here, as you can tell from the number of posts, and was reading the posts about bear hunting w/sks. So the old brain said, man, that 8m3 ammo really tore up hogs, so was wondering if anyone, or known of someone that shot a bear with the 8m3 ammo. Yes i know i'm comparing apples to oranges. I'll try to find the hog pic. again and post it if you think that'll help. Curious minds like to know. Thank you in advance.
If you can't hold the reins, don't take the ride. -Legend of Charging Charlie -Red Horse - CMSgt. Alfred "Lindy" Gothia, USAFR (Ret.)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 8m3 Ammo

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A friend shot a bear with a .38 special snub nose revolver, got a lucky shot ( or skilled one) through it's eye and killed it. With the light calibers it's shot placement that counts more so that the bullet used. Not everyone can stay cool under threat from a charging bear no matter what they are shooting.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have no idea what 8m3 is but i have shot at a bear with a hot hand loaded 45 long colt and it did not scare it. I shot across the front of it to see if i could get it to go the other way, It did not. So i very hastily did go the other way. I would not intentionaly hunt bear with an SKS. :no: :no:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shit, here I swapped to a .45 LC revolver after my friend had his close encounter thinking it would give me an edge out in the field if I met up with one.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:.... Not everyone can stay cool under threat from a charging bear no matter what they are shooting.
Count me in the ones that cannot - but that may be an advantage, the bear would have slippery footing while I exit stage-left. :idea: :)
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This was a VERY BIGGGGG BEAR. I was not tryin to kill it. Just wanted it to go the other way instead of coming at me. Turned out to be a bear that was tearin up the camp i was in. Lucky for me i was clear at the other end which was over a half mile away. It had to be hauled out of there cause it scared the city campers and caused some damage. Not sure what they did with it but it was extra large and i have not seen it since. That type is exactly why i use a 45 LC. There are supposed to be griz there too but i have not seen those and have enough trouble with the black bears. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

desdem12 wrote:I have no idea what 8m3 .....
I wondered about that - the 3 key is too far from the m key to be a phat phinger thing, so maybe just a blunder?
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Lmbass14

Post by Lmbass14 »

The 8M3 is a 7.62x39 ammo, used in SKS's and AK type firearms. Here is a link to what the bullet does to hogs. That's the reason i brought up the bear scenario.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ ... m3_Carnage
If you can't hold the reins, don't take the ride. -Legend of Charging Charlie -Red Horse - CMSgt. Alfred "Lindy" Gothia, USAFR (Ret.)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Shooting a bear in the head is a risky propasition at best. You should try for heart or lungs. Pigs taste better too. I still stand by the not using an sks or an ak on purpose for bears. That is a big ole bacon there but some bears are gonna triple that if not more. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Think of them like an angry speeding locomotive, they don't stop on a dime .
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

The OLD Wolf Military Classic 124gr HP used to have the 8m3 bullet. I can verify, it does NOT now. There are 2 types of Tula out there. 122gr HP and 124gr HP. I got some 124gr HP from Sportsmans guide. It appears to have the 8m3 bullet. If you take a staple or pin, and stick it in the HP hole and turn it around inside the bullet you can feel the serations. I would buy a small quanitity first to make sure they send you the right stuff. Or you could use Golden Bear or Silver Bear soft points. I think Wolf even puts out 154gr softpoints in 7.62x39. I don't know if I'd want to try it on a bear though. Hog hunting, fine. But a bear is signifigantly more intense IMHO. I would at least go with the 154gr soft points maybe.