Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B (Range Trip Vids & Pics)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Local Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B(New Pics Added

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Sorry guys can't get video to work. I'll try later from my laptop
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote:Sorry guys can't get video to work. I'll try later from my laptop

I followed the first link you put up. I viewed it on youtube. It was a short one. They sure are nice looking finns Brett. Of course while I was there I saw the suggested videos on th side and watched Teleocerus video with his Sako. Then I saw one that said Mosin Nagant stock refinish. So being the kind of guy that likes being poked in the eye I started to watch it. As it was loading a get a view of a bare wood totally stripped stock. ARGH!!!! I wanted to scream and there's a bunch more of them. I don't know why I do that. I know how much it pisses me off. I guess it's like watching a trainwreck. You know it's bad but watch in disbelief. The last comment someone made to this guy was. You idiots used oven cleaner on the stock! Yes he used lye based oven cleaner. Ok Rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled programing.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Haha I know what you mean. They just don't know any better. Somewhere I heard it put best. It's pure ego to think you can make the rifle any better than it already is and ego that makes a person think they need a perfect rifle with not a single imperfection. I think I put it wrong but something to that effect. Sounds like you watched the video just looking over the Finns. There is a shooting video but idiot me recorded it upside down so I flipped it with YouTube video editor just will take a bit for changes to take affect. If I can't make the player work on here ill just post the two link's
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote:Haha I know what you mean. They just don't know any better. Somewhere I heard it put best. It's pure ego to think you can make the rifle any better than it already is and ego that makes a person think they need a perfect rifle with not a single imperfection. I think I put it wrong but something to that effect. Sounds like you watched the video just looking over the Finns. There is a shooting video but idiot me recorded it upside down so I flipped it with YouTube video editor just will take a bit for changes to take affect. If I can't make the player work on here ill just post the two link's
Here they are warts and all. If the sideways one doesn't straighten out on it's own and you get it fixed I'll replace it with the right one.

Last edited by WeldonHunter on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Man that Tikka is SWEEEEEEET :Drool1: I just can't get over what how nice it is and what you got it for. I look for those kinds of deals everyday. :thumbsup:
I see you have S&B ammo. That should not be corrosive and you would not need to flush with water unless you used some of that little blue green box in them. I usually still use the hot water though as it helps clean them with out using up my hoppes. I will have to watch the sideways video on the desktop where i can flip the monitor. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Weldonhunter- thank you soooo much I couldn't seem to male.it work. The video that was sideways is all straightened out now and its the same link already looks right now here on.your post. Thanks again for posting them for me . :thumbsup:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Man that Tikka is SWEEEEEEET :Drool1: I just can't get over what how nice it is and what you got it for. I look for those kinds of deals everyday. :thumbsup:
I see you have S&B ammo. That should not be corrosive and you would not need to flush with water unless you used some of that little blue green box in them. I usually still use the hot water though as it helps clean them with out using up my hoppes. I will have to watch the sideways video on the desktop where i can flip the monitor. :lol:
Video is fixed :thumbsup: You should have seen my face when I went to watch the shooting video after waiting days to get to range to record it. I was like SOB :chuckles: . Thankfully YouTube has an option to flip videos on the video editor.
Those S&B boxes have mostly 46 and 78 surplus ammo in them. I just save the boxes for the containers inside the box . I was shooting the surplus ammo and around 6 minutes or so if you notice I go back to my bag for a green box of ammo that's the Czech surplus 46 grain low recoil hollow core ammo I have. I do have some S&B FMJ brass ammo left but none of the guns really like i. The extractors seem to dig into the softer brass cartridges. I have polished the extractor burrs out on a couple.of my 91/30s though and that makes a huge difference.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Man, what a nice deal you got :Drool1: :Drool1:
As to the target , what were you aiming at and how :?:
Were you using the same ammo on all shots :?: If so, what kind :?:
As to cleaning, we do the first 5 shots with non-c out of each gun, then we use surplus c (for corrosive) . Just to see a possible difference between the type of ammo on the paper. After being done with each gun, we pour a gallon of sun-heated tap-water through the hot barrel and over the bolt front, letting the parts heat up again in the sun. We repeat that at home with hot water and do the normal cleaning process as outlined in Dolks cleaning thread :pointup: in the forum here. After 2 and 1 half crates of surplus c, we have not encountered any rust, sticky extraction or burst shells, yet.
We have found out one thing , though: The barrel status the rifles are in when we get them will change with shooting and more intense cleaning. As long as No9 soaked patches come out turning green to blue, your "valleys" are still full of crap, copper and other.
Only when the oil patch comes out just slightly grey will you know that your rifle is on the way to be the shooter again it was when fresh out of Tula or Ishevsk.
My son and I love our Mosins for what they are : Great Battle Rifles :!: We are proud to put them to use and humble enough to clean them up nicely, after using them......because that's what they deserve. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long rant..... :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
rollndice83

Re: Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B (Range Trip Vids & P

Post by rollndice83 »

Dessertgunner - That is a very good explanation of a good cleaning process. Only thing is living here in Pa winter will be here soon enough so Sun heat treated water will not be possible. I only shoot about 20 rounds out of each gun per trip to the range but sometimes a little more. My bores on the two Finns I have both look smooth, mirror like and clean. After shooting I run a few patches of windex down the bore and spray chamber area with it then use micro fiber mop and long qtips to clean chamber and locking lug area. Then I run dry patches down barrel and I'd say the first three or four come out blackish Brown then the patch comes out clean on fifth or sixth patch. Then I procide to clean firing pin,bolt face and other bolt parts with same process including wiping down front of barrel , outside of receiver and barrel and front sight and cleaning rod to get any powder residue off. I use corrosion X oil in the barrel bore and exterior surfaces after for protection. I spray some corrosion X down barrel bore to then run a dry patch or two and comes out clean. Ive been using this process on my Russians and have had no problems but it sounds like hot water is something I need to do and will help improve barrel bore everytime I do it and get out possible grime that doesn't show itself without heat. I started using windex when I got my first can of corrosive ammo as I had read it neutralizes the salts and prevents corrosion. I spend over 30 minutes or more on each gun when I get home or longer and my process is some what laborious but as you stated I enjoy giving these historical firearms the love and care they need. I will be trying the hot water while I'm home this weekend to see what it breaks free.
If anyone else can add to this or help me with my cleaning process please do. I always wanted to keep them clean and corrosion free but I never thought of improving bore through a cleaning process each time restoring it back to its original. Thank you very much .
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

A quick update. A couple people have helped me see the light on a good cleaning process and now realizing my way needs much improvement I believe I have a great plan next time I clean after range trip. I will be doing away with the windex and moving on to a new process with boiling water. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and help. :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote:Weldonhunter- thank you soooo much I couldn't seem to male.it work. The video that was sideways is all straightened out now and its the same link already looks right now here on.your post. Thanks again for posting them for me . :thumbsup:
Hey no problem. These guys love a video and as you saw Desdem had a temp. fix, lol. Though you were shooting my toes off with the video pointing to the floor it was still fun to watch. :lol:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

rollndice beautiful rifle I'm looking at, had to comment on the suntreated water, in Arizona you can have that anytime, in the summer we can turn the hot water heater to vacation because the water comes out hot anyway's. Back to the rifle nice to see the glossy commercial grade type finish on the wood, many model 39 rifles posted have a sanded look and every now and then a really shiny high quality finished stock is posted up. Something I have been wondering for awhile was Finland's criteria for the wood, why some seem to have much nicer finished stocks than many out there. Once again sweet rifle. :thumbsup:
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:rollndice beautiful rifle I'm looking at, had to comment on the suntreated water, in Arizona you can have that anytime, in the summer we can turn the hot water heater to vacation becausei the water comes out hot anyway's. Back to the rifle nice to see the glossy commercial type finish on the wood, many model 39 rifles posted have a sanded look and every now and then a really shiny high quality finished stock is posted up. Something I have been wondering for awhile was Finland's criteria for the wood, why some seem to have much nicer finished stocks than many out there. Once again sweet rifle. :thumbsup:
Thanks for nice comments. Here in Pa in winter we turn our outdoor faucets off or else they will freeze lol. I'm not sure what you mean by commercial stock but i guess your right it is shinny. TGI in Knoxville,TN is the importer but I'm the first owner from them and I haven't done a thing to stock so I'm assuming that's how it was done or came from the Finnish armory but I wouldn't know for sure but I'm positive someone on here would know. I always leave the stocks just as they are with the exception of rubbing a little old English on them.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:rollndice beautiful rifle I'm looking at, had to comment on the suntreated water, in Arizona you can have that anytime, in the summer we can turn the hot water heater to vacation because the water comes out hot anyway's. Back to the rifle nice to see the glossy commercial type finish on the wood, many model 39 rifles posted have a sanded look and every now and then a really shiny high quality finished stock is posted up. Something I have been wondering for awhile was Finland's criteria for the wood, why some seem to have much nicer finished stocks than many out there. Once again sweet rifle. :thumbsup:
Some rifles were built during the press of wartime when there was little time for niceties. These and earlier made rifles then fought the war from 1939-1944. Many M39's were constructed after the war and well into the 1970's. Also remember that some earlier stocks had countless coats of FinnWax applied to them during their long service and that tends to give the wood a highly finished look. Many unissued rifles have stocks that are slightly unfinished looking, this is only from the lack of the many coatings of Finn wax.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Yep, Rollingdice and AZUSA from AZ, thats what we do here in the "Hot" West. We save money on heating up water and have to spend it again on the swamp cooler or the AC on real hot or humid days, catch 22....

My dad always said: Take care of tools necessary for life (AC, Car, etc) , but never forget , what IS necessary!

So today, with all this happening around us, it is my sincere belief that our armory existing in every househhold (I hope) should be in prepped status for anything to come... Good Night , y"all
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hi Brett. Man I am very impressed with your rifles. You just couldn't have found more beautiful guns I don't think. It looks like you have plenty of info to run with regarding cleaning. I feel real sure that your Finns are gonna stay in excellent condition. I enjoyed both of your videos. Videos and pictures are a great tool. Not just so we can share them with friends, but they can help us see things that we didn't perhaps think of at the time. Like wearing eye protection along with the hearing protection. Quite a few times I have gone back and reviewed shooting trips with my son and saw that one of us wasn't wearing our glasses, even though we had them with us. I can tell you one thing that I picked up from your second video. I know you may already be aware, but try next time gently squeezing the trigger slowly enough to noticeably take up the trigger creep, and as the slack disappears and you feel the trigger tighten up, continue to evenly squeeze through till the firing pin drops, and I about guarantee you you will see your group tighten up to maybe half the size of your target you posted. It's a good idea to practice this at home, but you might want to pick up some snap caps. A few times is one thing, but repeated dry-firing might not be good. Where this differs is that in your video you are going from a released trigger to a quick pull of the trigger when firing, and increases the chance of pulling your shot and opening up your group. There are other things that come into play to, like breathing, and sight focus, but this will help in my opinion. You have great rifles, a nice camera, and a nice looking shooting range too. Keep up the good work buddy.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Hey, Bunky, tnx for mentioning AND picturing the snap caps. I now can have my grandson dry-fire a 9130 for pre-shooting training. He is a little concerned about the recoil.....so now I will be able to have him go through the whole motion .......
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You are sure welcome, I picked these up when I went into Cabelas for the first time, and they were 10.00 for the pair. Sometimes a picture just helps.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Some how I double posted my. Response its on page 5. I have a solution to your grandsons recoil issue . I posted a picture and will send you info where to get them. If anyone else wants the link message me I don't know if we are supposed to advertise retailer info on here.
Last edited by rollndice83 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.