Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B (Range Trip Vids & Pics)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Local Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B

Post by bunkysdad »

Excellent shim examples there finloq! :P
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rollndice83 wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Clean it normal. If it needs brushing then brush it, if not just use patches. Most finns have immaculate barrels so don't go over board on the brushing. :D
Ok should I use just a 12 gauge brush for chamber / locking lug area or just soft micro fiber mop? I use mineral spirits to flush the cosmoline residue. How do you do it ? Or how would you? If you don't mind.
To avoid sticky chambers I take a 20 gauge copper/bronze bore brush for shotguns, mount it on a section of shotgun cleaning rod, wrap the brush with OOOO size steel wool, soak the wool with bore solvent or JB bore paste, chuck the rod in a power drill and drill it into the chamber for a minute, do not go into the rifling. Clean out the mess with spray oil, this is the only use I have found for WD40 on a firearm, clean the bore and test fire. If no problems extracting fired cases once the rifle is hot then I leave it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Do ALL that 'JYD' has listed and if you can, find some looooong Q-tips, to use in the tiny crevices inside. They are great for cleaning out crap. You have a great rifle there. I'll pass for now on any new rifles as I just picked up another M39 off GB and need to get that one pass the Border Guards (wife) and into the cave.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TopperT wrote:Do ALL that 'JYD' has listed and if you can, find some looooong Q-tips, to use in the tiny crevices inside. They are great for cleaning out crap. You have a great rifle there. I'll pass for now on any new rifles as I just picked up another M39 off GB and need to get that one pass the Border Guards (wife) and into the cave.
Have we heard the details of this new M39? :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

TopperT wrote:Do ALL that 'JYD' has listed and if you can, find some looooong Q-tips, to use in the tiny crevices inside. They are great for cleaning out crap. You have a great rifle there. I'll pass for now on any new rifles as I just picked up another M39 off GB and need to get that one pass the Border Guards (wife) and into the cave.

Mosins tend to all look alike to the uninitiated, my fiance keeps asking why I clean the same rifle over and over.

:redfaced:
Last edited by racerguy00 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Now that is pretty funny :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

racerguy00 wrote:

Mosins tend to all look alike to the initiated, my fiance keeps asking why I clean the same rifle over and over.

:redfaced:
I have tge 6" wooden handle qtips I use to clean chamber and locking lug area they are the best I get them by the 200s from work.
Rofl I have the same problem with my girlfriend, she always says what's the difference then I tell her and she doesn't want to know. Oh well my money I earn ill spend it how I want.
Also my M39 is absolutely shimmed very nicely. It has shims in three different locations that I can see little metal plates stacked one on top of they other. I was up til midnight last night cleaning her. Like w moron I put the ejector interruptor back in backwards so gotta fix that when I get home. And I have a free night tonight so stay tuned for my range trip videos tonight. I'm bringing the M39 and M91. I'm so freaking excited to shoot these old girls. The trigger feels excellent on the M39. Wonder how long its been since lead flew down these barrels? Tonight they come back to life . :popgun:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:pop: :ani-pop: :pop:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Just a quick photo op before I head off to the range. I'll post YouTube videos when I get back home.
Also here is a look at shims. The most forward is a rounded floating solid shim that the rounded under part of the barrel below the rear sight rests on.

And a look at both M91 and M39

Ok! Off to the range for a Sun down shoot.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Local Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B(New Pics Added

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

"The most forward is a rounded floating solid shim that the rounded under part of the barrel below the rear sight rests on."
Cleaning rod retaining nut.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

finloq wrote:"The most forward is a rounded floating solid shim that the rounded under part of the barrel below the rear sight rests on."
Cleaning rod retaining nut.
LMAO ok that's what that is :D I noticed how the bottom of ring on the barrel rests on it didn't even think of that duh...well ok so the other two areas are shims right? Now don't I feel stupid. Well anyhow at range and its amazing. Just simply amazing and I got great video.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Don't worry, I once asked if a Ukranian refurb mark was a Finnish mark. That was then, this is now.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice pics and like the shirt. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

On way home and looking for some advice on cleaning after shooting military surplus corrosive primer ammo. Can someone either confirm what I've been doing is suitable because it may or may not be overboard. I've been using ammonia windex and running several patches soaked with it through the barrel entering chamber side the running dry patches after that and then immediately oiling barrel with a few passes with a oily 30 caliber cleaning mop. Then I wipe down bolt head with windex and dry and apply oil and also wipe down frontt of outter part of barrel and front sight with windex then again oil. Sometimes I wipe off the firing pin and connecting rod. Way too much? It takes a long time but I want to make sure I preserve them the best I can. Any suggestions or tips?
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

RANGE PICTURES AND VIDEO'S.

Here is my target. Not bad with my horrible eyesight. I was shooting at 100 yards. I noticed in video instead of easing the triggers I was snapping them being use to harder grittier 91/30 trigger pull. I know excuses excuses. But first time out with Finns using 1946 and 1978 surplus ammo I'm happy. And I really like sights on both way more than 91/30, surprisingly I think I like the M91 sight picture better. But both excellent

UPLOADING VIDEOS . BE UP SHORTLY :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It looks like it is shooting windage good and not to bad on the other. It will get better. Instead of telling you your wayis good or bad i will tell you what i do. I don't do anything at the range unless it is pretty far. If it is i run a windex patch or 2 and wipe the face of the bolt and then dry patches. When i get home i use boiling water down the barrel and the chamber. Then a light brush while hot and then hoppes patches. If i ran alot of rounds in it i let the hoppes sit for a bit and then clean out with dry patches till gray and then oil. I also clean the bolt with what ever, like clp or water or both and oil. I also hav an oiled rag that i wipe down the whole exterior especialy the metal and then store careful not to touch the metal...That is just me though. :thumbsup:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:It looks like it is shooting windage good and not to bad on the other. It will get better. Instead of telling you your wayis good or bad i will tell you what i do. I don't do anything at the range unless it is pretty far. If it is i run a windex patch or 2 and wipe the face of the bolt and then dry patches. When i get home i use boiling water down the barrel and the chamber. Then a light brush while hot and then hoppes patches. If i ran alot of rounds in it i let the hoppes sit for a bit and then clean out with dry patches till gray and then oil. I also clean the bolt with what ever, like clp or water or both and oil. I also hav an oiled rag that i wipe down the whole exterior especialy the metal and then store careful not to touch the metal...That is just me though. :thumbsup:
Thanks! The water does not start to promote rust quickly or anything?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is why we use boiling water, the heat transfers to the metal causing any leftover water to very quickly steam off. It also helps free up stubborn crud before you hit it with bore cleaner.
Theodore Roosevelt