I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A TIKKA GUNSHOW PICKUP(PICS ADDED)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
desdem12

Re: I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A TIKKA GUNSHOW PICKUP(PICS ADDED)

Post by desdem12 »

Even if you have to pay 400 it is still worth it. I have not seen them that low much anyway. You will not be disappointed in them. Getting one at a local store is just as good if not way better then of the net. Good hunting :thumbsup: :pop: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
timlin33

Post by timlin33 »

M39 is a great gun. I really love mine and its a great shooter as well. And I bought mine from the same guys you're getting yours from and looked them over at the show on Saturday. Same problem didn't quite have the asking price this time around.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Cool so you must be in my neck of the woods. Just left the gun store and its interesting how things worked out. They only had 3 there. 1 1943 VKT but the stock was pretty banged up and had a chunk missing and the other 2 were SA B marked . I bought the way nicer of the 2 Bs for $375.00. The stock is excellent and smooth as butter, the Blueing is 90-95% and bore was brighter and sharper. What really made me pick the one B over the other besides big difference in condition was the one I got still has the eagle on the receiver. The kicker and funny part is that I bought it for $25.00 off because it has no bolt LOL someone lost it in transit from the gunshow. No big deal though because the other 2 m39s had blank bolt handles anyway with no number and I have every part to make a bolt at home and I have that cool early Tula hammer bolt handle with the eagle stamp on it so ill build the bolt for it with that. But plain and simple the other 2 were in very poor condition with almost no blueing left and stocks looked like termites got to them. But the one I got is just a beauty I promise you that. Can't wait to A. Show it to you guys and last but not least SHOOT IT!

EDIT:.And a side note a guy who worked there really tried to steer me away from the one I bought . Not sure why but just felt that way but I already wanted it anyhow. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was the one. It was clearly the nicer of the 3 wouldn't you pick that one too? .Neat store though, only 15 minutes away and great mil surplus guns.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice! Too bad about the bolt. Did he say he would give it to you if he found it? B barrels are runnin in the 500 range now so you did pretty good with that even though the bolt is absent. Good deal getting the one you want. A few bucks on these does not make to much difference. Is the barrel plum colored or black (blue)? :biggrin: :thumbsup: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Nice! Too bad about the bolt. Did he say he would give it to you if he found it? B barrels are runnin in the 500 range now so you did pretty good with that even though the bolt is absent. Good deal getting the one you want. A few bucks on these does not make tomuch difference. Is the barrel plum colored or black (blue)? :biggrin: :thumbsup: :pop: :pop:
Not sure ill have to check when I go back but I'm thinking blued. What is B by the way? Does it have to do with Nazis or Belgium? As for the bolt if they find it im sure they will but the 2 other m39s they had there had blank bolt handles with no serial number so I figured the bolt wasn't a deal breaker. Although I would have preferred it had its bolt I have a perfect bolt setup picked out with a old Tula hammer bolt handle that is also blank with no serial number so it wontbmake the rifle have unmatching numbers. The s $399 but they knocked $25 off because the bolt. Going to make a video tonight of the Tikka and post it but not sure about range trip its not working out so far but tomorrow gauranteed
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The B is for belgium barrels. the B M39s were cut from the B barrel M91s. Did it have a AV1 mark on the left side? Sometimes they are hard to see.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:The B is for belgium barrels. the B M39s were cut from the B barrel M91s. Did it have a AV1 mark on the left side? Sometimes they are hard to see.
Hmm not sure either darn I wish I had it in my hands right now. Soon it will be though. What is the AV1 for? For some reason though I think I remember seeing that.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Av1 is the state rifle factory if memory serves me. Assembly plant 1 is kinda what it means. :D Some have it some don't
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Av1 is the state rifle factory if memory serves me. Assembly plant 1 is kinda what it means. :D Some have it some don't
Your a wealth of information and thanks for getting back quickly earlier. I was st the gun store hitting refresh every minute like please respond please respond lol. It's been awhile since I spent almost $400 on a firearm so wanted to know I made the best choice I could. I'm going to get less and less range time as we move towards fall and winter. Do you know if indoor ranges usually allow a rifle that fires a 7.62x54r cartridge?
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Your welcome! i was makin lunch so i hope i was fast enough. :lol: It sounds like you made the right decision to me. Glad to help out, anytime. There are indoor ranges around that do. Not here where i live but i have heard of some. :D
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Slow Ride wrote:Very nice! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
No problem. Check back ill be posting youtube videos of close up look at the 43 Tikka and also range report and shooting. Just have been so busy last couple days or would have done it sooner. I just transfered 5.67 GB of pics and video from my phone to computer so I can even use my phone to make more videos and take pics. The SD card was full :beek:
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

You stole that M91, very nice.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There are indoor ranges that allow these, but often not with the surplus ammo. My indoor range will only allow ammo that does not have a steel core bullet, but most surplus does. If a magnet sticks to the bullet they tell me no.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Sony Bloggie will hold 8gb of HD 1080p video, that's like half an hour or so, maybe an hour I haven't checked.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Great rifle! The Finns went to war against the Soviets in 1939 and again in 1941 using every mosin model available to them, plus reserve rifles from other sources like Italian Carcanos. The reason the trigger is in the white is that the Finns didn't reblue them. They were originally that way. From what I've read, the soviets reblued those parts during the refurb process.

As far as un-numbered Finn bolts go, check everywhere on it. They reused and renumbered these several times and in different spots. I did have one with the original numbers ground off and the last four numbers of the new serial number stamped on the bolt knob.

Don't be surprised if you find even older receivers. Remember that any receiver 1898 and older is legally considered an antique, even though the barrel can be dated much later.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

racerguy00 wrote:Great rifle! The Finns went to war against the Soviets in 1939 and again in 1941 using every mosin model available to them, plus reserve rifles from other sources like Italian Carcanos. The reason the trigger is in the white is that the Finns didn't reblue them. They were originally that way. From what I've read, the soviets reblued those parts during the refurb process.

As far as un-numbered Finn bolts go, check everywhere on it. They reused and renumbered these several times and in different spots. I did have one with the original numbers ground off and the last four numbers of the new serial number stamped on the bolt knob.

Don't be surprised if you find even older receivers. Remember that any receiver 1898 and older is legally considered an antique, even though the barrel can be dated much later.
Wow racerguy very interesting. I have a question then if my M91 receiver is wn 1899 will it be an antique next year? And what does being an antique represent? As far as firearms go.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WE all wish that was how it went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But sadly no. The number stays the same until someone decides it doesn't. And who is the deciders? People who are not friends of guns likely. :cry: :cry:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:WE all wish that was how it went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But sadly no. The number stays the same until someone decides it doesn't. And who is the deciders? People who are not friends of guns likely. :cry: :cry:
LOL not like cars then huh.. so my 1899 will never be "classified" as an antique then? Unless the number is changed? Well damn LOL missed it by that much. Can't wait to check the m39 receiver tang when I pick it up. Hoping for a Chatterault or a Sestro.
Desdem did I read your post right on JYDs M91 video post that you don't have any M91s in your collection?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

My M91 collection is lacking. I have a few Finns though. They are hard to come by here. Then there are all the vultures here that snake from my hood like racerguy and redspoon. Those 2 have deep pockets so watch out. :lol: :lol: :lol: If you find some send them over. :thumbsup: