New member, third 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bcposton

New member, third 91/30

Post by bcposton »

Hello all. I just acquired my third 91/30 and I think it could be a good one. 1936 Tula Hex Ex-Sniper. I do not know whether it was a PE or PEM, any thoughts would be appreciated. It is in a pre-war stock, and is all force matched serial numbers. Only issue is that it has been counter bored, but I understand this was done to help with accuracy.

Three_Dogs

Re: New member, third 91/30

Post by Three_Dogs »

Welcome to the forum and let me say nice rifle....welcome to mosinitis...soon you will have more. :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Mosinitis is in full effect :D
Found a local dealer that regularly keeps these in stock and in good numbers. Should only get better from here!!!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Welcome! Nice rifle you have there! Counter bore isn't a big deal really. Just shows the rifle was used. It was done to help its accuracy. Have fun trying to treat your case of mosinitis :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Neat find. I'm no sniper expert but I think it is a PE. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Beardedbullitz

Post by Beardedbullitz »

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice lookin rifle! :Drool1:
-Beardedbullitz-
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Very nice looking PE EX-SNIPER. :Drool1: Interesting stamps on those 3's.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D Welcome to the forum :D

:Drool1: Nice rifle you have there! :Drool1: ...and :Drool1: an EX, on top :Drool1:

How much was the ransom you paid?

Yeah, the :big shock: "3s" are interesting, font-wise. Are they like that all over or just on the barrel?? :?: :?: :geek:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is a nice one all right. I'm surprised you haven't decided on a carbine by now. You have a healthy collection growing.
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

I did not realize that anything special was going on with the "3". What makes them different?

I will have to look closer at the rest. As for the buttplate, magazine and bolt they are unfortunately stamped force matched, and look like all the other refurb force match fonts I have seen.

Ransom paid for this rifle was $120, had it on rack of multiple hex receivers, same price as all the rest. Saw the sniper mark next to the star and knew I had to have it. Basically got everything I wanted in one rifle. They had more Mosins than I had money, rack included two nice looking MO Izhevsks (one with tiger stripe stock). I was more determined to get my EX out of the way. EDIT to add; the MO's were marked for $120 as well.
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

I don't think there's anything special, i nocticed 1 of the 3's is lightly stamped compared to the other one's. Does it look like they were double stamped?

$120 is a good price. :D
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I agree the side by side 3's in the serial number are stamped harder than the other one. They look deeper than every other number on the serial number to me.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Starshina

Post by Starshina »

Are you sure it was counterbored? Most of the 91/30 I see are recrowned.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, I have the same ex sniper but mine is 1935 :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

What a great lookin PE! I think the one 3 looks double stamped. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
dou44

Post by dou44 »

welocone and you have a nice rifle. now just make room for rifle no 4 and 5 because they will come along.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. The first thing that stood out to me was all of the 3's. The date looks double or restamped as well as the last two 3's in the serial. The first one is lightly stamped but the font looks the same on them all. I even copied the picture to my computer, turned it and blew it up to see it better. I can only imagine why this happened. Nice feature.