Pristine 91/59 Mosin Carbine

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mountain Man

Pristine 91/59 Mosin Carbine

Post by Mountain Man »

I picked this Mosin up about 15 years ago for $50, before I really knew much about them and all the variations. I had a 1896 (which I have since discovered was a Finnish capture rifle and which I will post soon) I picked up 30 years ago and when I saw this carbine, I thought it was the carbine version of that was period made. At the time I received the gun, I did not know of the refurb program and thought the gun was actually newly made in 1959 yet the receiver was stamped 1941 and then 91/59. It was mint and appeared unfired. Since then, after being on this site, I have learned that it was a remanufactured Mosin cut down from a standard 1941 rifle but unlike the two other arsenal reburbs I have, the work and finish are of a commercial grade. Now that I know what it is, I have looked it over closely and it does have some interesting makes on the bolt and the stock. It also appears to have a new trigger/mag group because as you can see in the pic of the mag, there is no sign of a forced serial number. Hopefully, this Mosin will go into the forum's showcase. Sorry for the pic of the receiver, but I just can not get good pics when they are really up close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Re: Pristine 91/59 Mosin Carbine

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Pristine indeed MM :Drool1: that's a sweet looking carbean ,got my vote for the carbine category :thumbsup:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Wow very nice! :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Love those Carbines! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

I wanna show some love also. Thanks for sharing with us.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

I love this one! It looks like it was made by somebody who cared and was not very far into his cups yet.
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

All 91/59's i have ever tried seem to have great triggers in them. That might explain why the trigger assembly looks new, it might indeed be new. I am not a carbine person but once I got ahold of one of the 91/59's I fast became one! I had at one time about 5 or 6 of them and I think I am down to 3 now after selling a couple off and then buying one from a table mate at a show. It has a tiger striped stock and after two shows of nobody buying it I told him don't put it out I will take it! He wore me down with that great looking wood! Congrats that is a great looking one for sure. The triggers on 91/59's are best of any Soviet rifles I have ever handled! Nice Rifle for sure! Bill :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are some sweet carbines all right :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

:Drool1: :Drool1: One day I too will have one! Sweet :thumbsup:
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Great! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Another dream start into the Mosin nightmare addiction, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...like: I want one! But I want it now. :Drool1:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Don't wait too long the prices will only be higher :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A great looking 91/59.... Mountain Man wanted to post it on the Showcase.... What do you all think???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I say yes :)
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

+1
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
1934hexreceiver

Post by 1934hexreceiver »

Nice looking carbine. Looking over all these mosins I really want a carbine now. It just seems better to have around the house and probly alot easier to carry around. And think about when the zombie apocalypse comes. Smaller length rifle always in some way prove to be better and easier to carry on you. I had to go through some pretty thick bush when I went in the woods behind my house to fire off some rounds. I attached the bayonette so I would be using that instead of the barrel to push through the vines and moss. I think even without the bayonette it still would have been as difficult to Cary through the woods.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M38 and M91/59 carbines do not attach a bayonet, they were never fitted to take one. As carbines go the Mosin ones are a bit longer than most. The German, Italian, French, and American M1 carbine are all about two inches shorter than the M38.
Zombies?? Am I going to have to do a video rant on the topic of Zombies? Erik, do you still have that hilarious clip?
Theodore Roosevelt
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

Mountain Man - Can you post bigger pictures? I would like to see more of your carbine than my old eyes can make out in the ones above. I think with larger pictures this rifle would be worthy of the showcase section.
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
1934hexreceiver

Post by 1934hexreceiver »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The M38 and M91/59 carbines do not attach a bayonet, they were never fitted to take one. As carbines go the Mosin ones are a bit longer than most. The German, Italian, French, and American M1 carbine are all about two inches shorter than the M38.
Zombies?? Am I going to have to do a video rant on the topic of Zombies? Erik, do you still have that hilarious clip?
Rant away... If it has to do with zombies I will watch it.