I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A TIKKA GUNSHOW PICKUP(PICS ADDED)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
desdem12

Re: I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A TIKKA GUNSHOW PICKUP(PICS ADDED)

Post by desdem12 »

Just take the dog collars off. Then loosen the sling hangers and remove the screw. Slip the hanger thru where the dog collar was and the reinsert on the rifle and put the screw back on. THat way you won't misplace the hangers and they will be with the rifle in case you run into a bunch of $140 dollar finns. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
timlin33

Post by timlin33 »

rollndice83 wrote:
timlin33 wrote:Very nice! Hope you didn't find that at the Philadelphia gun show or I'm gonna have to kick myself for not looking closer......... :big shock:
Yes sir I did LOL at the greater Philadelphia expo center on Sunday around 3 pm an hour before close. Were you there? It was in hall b in the way back corner were most people seemed to not venture.
I was there for hours on Saturday and thought I combed through everything!! AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!! :big shock: Well good for you and your perseverance (or good luck)!!
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Just take the dog collars off. Then loosen the sling hangers and remove the screw. Slip the hanger thru where the dog collar was and the reinsert on the rifle and put the screw back on. THat way you won't misplace the hangers and they will be with the rifle in case you run into a bunch of $140 dollar finns. :thumbsup:
Duh! Lol guess I didn't realize that the swivels split open. So I just use swivel in place of dog collars I got you. Great idea!
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Is this normal or how these come? Each barrel band has a small screw in front of it. They look to match period and are lined up perfect.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It twere bunkysdads idea. He be smerter then me. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes those little screws are normal for finns. Take them out to remove the barrel bands. Don't lose them. The reason they are there is so the barrel bands can sit loose on the rifle for better accuracy. So don't over tighten the barrel bands. :D
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Gotcha the band's were a little loose. Well here is the tang I can't tell what it is I do see the Tula hammer though. And the trigger and sear are sestro. The trigger has no play in it not use to that LOL.

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Older then i thought. It is a 1899 Tula reciever. Missed it by that much...from being an antique. Still very nice. And yes it is safe to shoot!!
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Older then i thought. It is a 1899 Tula reciever. Missed it by that much...from being an antique. Still very nice. And yes it is safe to shoot!!
Wow that old!? That's cool. The receiver all in all looks to be in good shape. Seems like maybe they refinished the outter part of the receiver at arsenal but its smooth and ill post some pics the Blueing is still good inside except the inside right is getting shimmy like a stainless look but just a few specs of surface rust most likely from sitting and very minor pitting. Is that a good receiver? Is a 1899 receiver harder to come by or still common for a M91?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I don't have facts like that handy but maybe the finn guys do. I can't even remember what years i have except i have one 1894 chatellerault reciever, and one sestroryetsk that i just found under the 43 tikka i have. They reblued the reciever in arsenal when the ybuilt the rifle. So in 1943 or so. Some of the 43 Tikkas look unused as well as some of the M39s. :D
bb91

Post by bb91 »

rollndice83, Great enthusiasm and what a deal! That'd make any mosin collectors day right there! :thumbsup:

Might be awhile before you can top that! CONGRATS!
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:I don't have facts like that handy but maybe the finn guys do. I can't even remember what years i have except i have one 1894 chatellerault reciever, and one sestroryetsk that i just found under the 43 tikka i have. They reblued the reciever in arsenal when the ybuilt the rifle. So in 1943 or so. Some of the 43 Tikkas look unused as well as some of the M39s. :D
Damn a chat and a sestro you got some good stuff my man. I am humbled by you. But this is a great start to my Finn collection and really rarity is not important its just so rich in history and I can't wait to get it to range. Still cleaning I will make a range visit tomorrow but ill post some nice pics and a video tonight.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Man i have nothin. Have BB break out the big guns, he has the stuff for sure. Him and the rest of the finn guys KD, FB, Shmlnaa
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Let's see let's see :pop: :biggrin:
Well you have a nice collection that's for sure. And you've been very helpful along with the rest of the guys on here. I'm just putting the Tikka back together now it takes me forever with my ocd and I cleaned the chamber and locking lug area well. I'm going to have to get some of that lemon oil for the stock tomorrow and rub it down assembled. I'm definitely going to make that range trip tomorrow. I also took awhile on the bands I oiled the threads up well and worked them back and fourth the rear one wouldn't close at all but now they both function fully.

You said don't tighten the bands down completely?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Right! it is a trick that the finns used to increase accuracy. It creates a touch spot when the are tightened completely and effects barrel harmonics. That is why the little screws are there, to hold the bands in place while semi loose. I forgot FinloQ too. :thumbsup: :D
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice. These are just a bunch of fun in finding all kinds of stuff out about the rifles. Mine have a 1898 Sestroryetsk and 1900 Tula on them. I can't remember what the other one was. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well it looks like you got this one under control. I am gonna be looking for a shooting report now. 1899 receiver. Doesn't that just have a cool feel to it. I mean, smokeless powder was practically a new idea that had been around for less than a decade. Yet, here it is still looking good.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Yea these are really fun to collect its really addictive and I've always been into military history so its a no brainer and you can shoot them! I was shocked and blown away when I found out I have a receiver from 1899. Well a range session is in order and another close up video and photo session outside. She's all cleaned up just need to oil the stock. I'm tired as can be but tomorrow....well later today LOL will be fun..Stay tuned
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Favorite part of day. Done working and back on my time. Im going to a gun store that was at gunshow on my ride home from work. They have 4 M39 VKTs so I'm going to check each one out and put one on layaway plan for 3 months. The prices seem fair and I rarely wee any MNs at gun shops around here let alone a Finnish model so while there are 4 VKTs close by I'm going to put my name on one. I looked at the 3 they had with them and remember one had the S in a gear as for the others I forget. The priceisn't a steal ill be paying full price unlike the Tikka but I'm ok with that. I was reading an article in a military surplus magazine and it says the M39 is a great one to have. They caught my eye at the show but didn't have the $329 -$399 asking price and never considered layaway which makes it easily doable for me know. So ill put some money down and chip away at it over next 3 months. I know they are out there on auction sites but while 4 are at one store and its on my ride home and I can hold each one and have my pick of the 4 I have to do it. You guys just have to wait to see it LOL.
Then tonight making that range trip and video time. And I was thinking about something today the Russians invaded Finland in 1943 so they were battling Nagant vs Nagant I assume right? Don't know why I didn't realize that before.