I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A TIKKA GUNSHOW PICKUP(PICS ADDED)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WOOHOO! I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A SAKO GUNSHOW PICKUP

Post by millman »

Nice looking 43 Tikka, and at a bargain price. Good score.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
swoop85

Post by swoop85 »

Excellent! Great find :)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

43 Tikka was the last year of the M91. I bought one not too long ago for $300 so you did good there. It appears to be in a post war stock. I can't believe you stole it like that. Get a couple more next time :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Tikka M91..SWEET that is a bout a $325 bone rifle on GB!!! What a great find in the refutrbs :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
LOL ok so its a Tikka not a Sako? What's the difference? But it is a M91 that's cool. I'll tell you too the rifling looks different that my Russians but its sharp and like a mirror.
And another thing the trigger is not black its like a stainless look and there is no wobble or play in it at all and its so smooth and crisp. It's very light too.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sako is a gear logo with an S in it. Sako did not make M91s. These are some of the nicer m91s you can get. I threw up a couple of pics of mine :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sako M39 is in the middle. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Nice 1943 Tikka. Now tear her down and look at the tang date. I'd say you did real well on the price. Close to double in value. Finnish sling hangers, cleaning rod. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You got it my man ill do it first thing tomorrow after work. What should I look for just a date?

fter that I'm off to the range for some fun time and you know ill be making a video and posting that tomorrow night with a range report. Just a quick tear down,cleaning and headspace/safety check.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It has a scrubbed eagle on top of the reciever so it may be scrubbed underneath. It is possible that this is a pre 1920 and likely a pre russian revolution reciever. I am betting 1909 or newer like around 1914 or so. :D
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

rollndice83 wrote:
BuckeyeSgt wrote:Nice 1943 Tikka. Now tear her down and look at the tang date. I'd say you did real well on the price. Close to double in value. Finnish sling hangers, cleaning rod. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You got it my man ill do it first thing tomorrow after work. What should I look for just a date?

fter that I'm off to the range for some fun time and you know ill be making a video and posting that tomorrow night with a range report. Just a quick tear down,cleaning and headspace/safety check.
The tang could tell you the date and arsenal of the reciever. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Get the heck out of here...............man you did great. What a score for sure. Now we want to see range videos of this one too. You should have never done that video, you've spoiled us now. :wink:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Desdem12- Ahhh I see Sako has the S in sprocket looking mark I gotcha . Is that your Sako? And your Tikka is just gorgeous! Can you tell me why my buttplate and floorplate has no serial numbers they are blank. Is yours the same way? Man I need to do some research on these Finnish Nagants now. There was a shorter Finnish VKT there I believe it was a Sako. But it was $349 and more than I could spend. Did I do good getting Tikka over the VKT? The VKT if from a gun store about 15 minutes away so I can always go there and put it on layaway for 3 months . It was way shorter with a wider front sight and big barrel band in front.Just way out of my price range. But I'm really happy with the Tikka. Can't wait to look her over tomorrow. So this Tikka I bought and the shorter VKT were the only two Finns I saw there. I guess I got the Tikka for a steal because the old man had it marked Russian Sako so maybe he didn't know what it was....It's not like its beat up I think its in superb shape.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:It has a scrubbed eagle on top of the reciever so it may be scrubbed underneath. It is possible that this is a pre 1920 and likely a pre russian revolution reciever. I am betting 1909 or newer like around 1914 or so. :D
Man I can't keep up LOL im having too much fun. Are you talking about the one I just brought? You see a scrubbed eagle? You got me all excited I have to look it over better tomorrow. Any way to tell if its pre 1920?
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

WeldonHunter wrote:Get the heck out of here...............man you did great. What a score for sure. Now we want to see range videos of this one too. You should have never done that video, you've spoiled us now. :wink:
You know it my friend you'll get a video tomorrow night and a better one at that I will do close ups of the rifle so you can see all around it better in video than picture and more shooting! :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You did the right thing. you made about $200 bucks right there. The VKT could be one of several different rifles. Maybe a M39. The picture of the 3 M39s there are mine. One is a sako one is a VKT and one is a B barrel. Did the VKT look like the one in that shot? If so it is a M39 and probly worth the $350. If it is n a store and you can layaway i would go make sure what it is and likely buy it. If it is a M27 then Buy it. The butt plate was from another rifle and this was maybe done in a hurry incase of need. There was no need for the numbers. All finns are from parts of russian rifles except the barrels and a few sights and other stuff so no worries there. :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

rollndice83 wrote: Any way to tell if its pre 1920?
Take it apart and look at the bottom of the tang. There should be a date there. The Finns sometimes scrubbed the eagles, so it could be any date.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

rollndice83 wrote:Man I can't keep up LOL im having too much fun. Are you talking about the one I just brought? You see a scrubbed eagle? You got me all excited I have to look it over better tomorrow. Any way to tell if its pre 1920?
On top of the reciever it looks like there is a dimple. That is a scrubbed eagle that was put there by the russians. The finns scrubbed them when they had the time to. If you take it apart there and look on the tang it will tell you what you have unless it is scrubbed. I am guessing the date by the features i see. Also the barrel bands loosen by going clockwise and tighten by counter clock wise DON"T BREAK THEM
ponycarman

Re: I GOT MY FIRST FINN! A TIKKA GUNSHOW PICKUP(PICS ADDED)

Post by ponycarman »

Man you got a killer deal for that! Gorgeous rifle!!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Stop and take a breath. You got one of the steals. Not just for the price but for the condition. That is one fine looking rifle. I paid in the high $200's for a Finn M91 with a counter bored barrel several years ago.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:
rollndice83 wrote:Man I can't keep up LOL im having too much fun. Are you talking about the one I just brought? You see a scrubbed eagle? You got me all excited I have to look it over better tomorrow. Any way to tell if its pre 1920?
On top of the reciever it looks like there is a dimple. That is a scrubbed eagle that was put there by the russians. The finns scrubbed them when they had the time to. If you take it apart there and look on the tang it will tell you what you have unless it is scrubbed. I am guessing the date by the features i see. Also the barrel bands loosen by going clockwise and tighten by counter clock wise DON"T BREAK THEM
You are a eagle eye man! You are all great and so very helpful. That is one heck of a collection of Finns you have there desdem :beek: :vcool: :thumbsup: I got another question for you. I am going to obviously leave the stock how it is I love it and would never try to clean all that beautiful grime and dirt that's soaked in over the years but the stock seems a little dry what can I use to condition it and preserve it? And thanks for heads up on bands. The threads look pretty decent ill get some close up HQ video of it tomorrow but this rifle seems to be in really good condition all over it. I'm kind of amazed by it. The screws on the stock inserts and swivels are great to none of them have been damaged. What kind of barrel did the Finns put on them? The bore looks great and I don't believe its been counterbored but ill check tomorrow
Teleoceras

Post by Teleoceras »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: Oh man, you got a great deal for that gorgeous M91! :thumbsup:

The VKT was an M39 if it had the pistol grip stock.
VKT 1944 M39
Tula 1935 M91/30
SAKO 1941 M39 Straight stock
Tula 1939 M91/30
Tikka 1942 M91
Tikka 1928 M27
Tula 1936 M91/30 Finnish rebuilt
Tikka 1944 M91/30
SAKO 1942 M39
Tula 1930 M91 Dragoon Finnish capture
SAKO SK.Y 1943 M39
SIG 1928 M28