number matching Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

number matching Question

Post by jeremyb »

it seams that a lot of people want number matching rifles.. Arn't most of these Mosins are referbs that were re stamped after being put back together. Were the old stamps ground off? Are they worth more than the ones that were just lined out and re done with the electric pencil.

JEREMY
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: number matching Question

Post by millman »

Yes. The vast majority are renumbered to match the date on the barrel. I don't see any difference in value amongst the various types of renumbers.

BTW. Yes, they just ground the old numbers off of a bunch of them.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think the restamped looks a little better but i would not leta little ep here and ther stop me from buying. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, this is called force matching, all the serial numbers were renumbered to match the barrel number.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

It is interesting to see on a few rifles that originally stamped parts were left untouched, only the refurbed parts renumbered....I have not seen electro-pencil other than on SKS and some AKs....
which does not mean it has not occurred , I just have not seen it , yet.
The Ukranian arsenals obviously did not have an SOP in place on refurbishing deactivated rifles ...or did not care about it..
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
popgun

Post by popgun »

my91/30 has clear seen sre.#s. if it was re-# would it not show grind marks? all #son mine show not grind marks. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :ani-pop: :ani-pop:
dou44

Post by dou44 »

for the price they are and the history behind then i do not care if ep or restamped .if i like it i will bring it home.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desertgunner wrote:It is interesting to see on a few rifles that originally stamped parts were left untouched, only the refurbed parts renumbered....I have not seen electro-pencil other than on SKS and some AKs....
which does not mean it has not occurred , I just have not seen it , yet.
The Ukranian arsenals obviously did not have an SOP in place on refurbishing deactivated rifles ...or did not care about it..
If you mean you've never seen an electro penciled Mosin Nagant in front of you, I can understand that. But if you've never seen one period this forum is full of them and I have a bunch. All 6 of my laminates are EP'd as well as a few others. Including one I just put up tonight. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6897
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

My M44 has electro pencil numbers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
target

Post by target »

A few of mine have electro numbers. Some, like the picture above, are very stylized like cursive handwriting but then some are straighter like normal print. Two of mine are almost illegible while the third one is clean and crisp.

As for serial numbers. It's cool to get a rifle with matching numbers but for a long time not many people cared about em. I don't care too much personally but given the choice I would go with numbers matching but wouldn't sweat it if the numbers didn't match.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Popgun, you may see grind marks, but if the old number was scrubbed off with a little attention to detail it may look more polished. I have one rifle with the electro penciled # written on the bolt on and the steel looks nearly chrome, but no grind marks.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

I don't think the numbers matching is that big an issue but I would probably be more attracted to those that had stamped numbers over those that were EPed. Just for cosmetic reasons but at the end of the day if they go bang and haven't been Bubba'ed that would be my biggest concerns.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:Popgun, you may see grind marks, but if the old number was scrubbed off with a little attention to detail it may look more polished. I have one rifle with the electro penciled # written on the bolt on and the steel looks nearly chrome, but no grind marks.

I have rifles with EP'd number that look just like this. Like they were never numbered before. Then there's the one I put up tonight and if you look at the place where the EP was used to put the new number you can see part of the old numbers. Like they only partially ground them off.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The numbers thing is a European obsession that US arsenal avoided, our rifle have one serial number on the receiver. This is because we refurbish our weapons pretty much constantly and not having to number match shit saves a great deal of time.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
popgun

Post by popgun »

i did look at the ser.# on my 91/30 and all look original. still working on taking pics. and then work on sending them. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :ani-pop: :ani-pop:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sometimes the Soviets were neat about the serial numbers, they ground off the old number and buffed the metal out before stamping the new one.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Romanians were less so when they refurbished a rifle, on my Hungarian carbine they lined out the old numbers and just restamped the new ones right next to it. Every number but the barrel number and every old number is different.
Theodore Roosevelt
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Three_Dogs wrote:I don't think the numbers matching is that big an issue but I would probably be more attracted to those that had stamped numbers over those that were EPed. Just for cosmetic reasons but at the end of the day if they go bang and haven't been Bubba'ed that would be my biggest concerns.
Original matching is a big deal. Scrubbed and re stamped force matches vs. elecrtopenciled force matched on a refurb, not so much.
popgun

Post by popgun »

i just happen to stop at our gun store here. he just happen to got in a 91/30 and it did have a line though the ser.# i MAY go back and buy it. i now used magnify on mine and still looks real. what more can i say!! popgun :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :ani-pop: :ani-pop: :ani-pop: :ani-pop:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Go buy that rifle, and this time hide it better from your son :)
Theodore Roosevelt