129 Ex-Dragoon or 1930's Tula Hex Need Help(VIDEO ADDED)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: 129 Ex-Dragoon or 1930's Tula Hex Need Help(UPDATE PICS)

Post by WeldonHunter »

Here's a better picutre.

rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
rollndice83 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:I just noticed you posted pictures of the ejector and the tab looks nice and sharp. The ejector itself looks like it's depressed into the slot it rides in. May just be the pictures. The whole ejector should be sticking through the slot it sits in about 1/8th inch. If the part of the ejector forward of the rim tab is even with slot it sits in the ejector will be inhibited from doing it's job and it means the spring might be bent or something is holding it from seating and/or working properly.
You know what when I was doing initial cleaning of cosmoline I clean ejector and slid it off its seat to clean that area well with a small paint brush. If it looks that way to you it may jot be fully seated properly? What do you think?

Edit* It's not flush with the slot it comes out of and you can depress it and it springs back.out but it still may jot be seated all the way and out far enough[/quot
Compare it to the pictures I posted before. If it' not sticking through far enough that might be the problem right there. If you need a better picture I can take more. As a matter of fact I'm going to do that anyway.
A
Alright man.here is a side by side picture of the ejector I pulled out of the dragoon next to a new one I have . The new one is on top and the one out of dragoon is on bottom. It looks good all I noticed is that new one has like a knife blade edge blade and the one from dragoon is squared off. And it seems to be seated right. Spring is strong any ideas.????

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Well as far as the knife blade cut goes that shouldn't make a difference in ejection. That part of the ejector rides below the bolt heads outer ridge as the bolt is pulled back. The tab is what kicks the rim as you pull the bolt back. The shell then pivots at the extractor and flips out. Put the bolt in and look at the bolt head as you pull the bolt back. The tab should be sticking through that groove when you pull the bolt back. One other thing to ask, Are you pulling the bolt back quickly enough? The force used to retract the bolt will effect how the cartridge ejects. I'm not saying slam it back but it needs a little force when pulling it back to eject the spent shell.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

WeldonHunter wrote:Well as far as the knife blade cut goes that shouldn't make a difference in ejection. That part of the ejector rides below the bolt heads outer ridge as the bolt is pulled back. The tab is what kicks the rim as you pull the bolt back. The shell then pivots at the extractor and flips out. Put the bolt in and look at the bolt head as you pull the bolt back. The tab should be sticking through that groove when you pull the bolt back. One other thing to ask, Are you pulling the bolt back quickly enough? The force used to retract the bolt will effect how the cartridge ejects. I'm not saying slam it back but it needs a little force when pulling it back to eject the spent shell.
Just put it all back together. The tab and outter edge of ejector is riding in groove cut out of bolt head. And I do pull it back pretty hard well at least decent force. I'm going to try and get up to state game land rifle and pistol range tomorrow evening and ill take a video so you can see and any issues it may still have will be recorded. I cleaned the chamber area again and bolt lug are and its squeaky clean. All around gun shot well I need to try my 70s surplus ammo so I can try something besides the 46 year ammo. The 46 year ammo was fine in my 43 Tula that say but every gun is slightly different. I'll try each of the 4 types of ammo I have. I think it just needs some rounds through it but either way ejector should either work or not. We will see and assuming I make it up there tomorrow night which I should ill post a video.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Well as far as the knife blade cut goes that shouldn't make a difference in ejection. That part of the ejector rides below the bolt heads outer ridge as the bolt is pulled back. The tab is what kicks the rim as you pull the bolt back. The shell then pivots at the extractor and flips out. Put the bolt in and look at the bolt head as you pull the bolt back. The tab should be sticking through that groove when you pull the bolt back. One other thing to ask, Are you pulling the bolt back quickly enough? The force used to retract the bolt will effect how the cartridge ejects. I'm not saying slam it back but it needs a little force when pulling it back to eject the spent shell.
Just put it all back together. The tab and outter edge of ejector is riding in groove cut out of bolt head. And I do pull it back pretty hard well at least decent force. I'm going to try and get up to state game land rifle and pistol range tomorrow evening and ill take a video so you can see and any issues it may still have will be recorded. I cleaned the chamber area again and bolt lug are and its squeaky clean. All around gun shot well I need to try my 70s surplus ammo so I can try something besides the 46 year ammo. The 46 year ammo was fine in my 43 Tula that say but every gun is slightly different. I'll try each of the 4 types of ammo I have. I think it just needs some rounds through it but either way ejector should either work or not. We will see and assuming I make it up there tomorrow night which I should ill post a video.
Ok we'll be waiting to see it. Ejecting is pretty basic. I mean there's not a whole lot that can be wrong. One other thing to check is if the front part of the ejector is sitting out to far and hitting the rim of the shell before it even gets to the ejector tab. Just a thought.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Well I was in a bad car accident last night I'm ok but car is banged up. Needless to say no range trip last night but I'm going up tonight with rental car so look for video around 930 pm eastern
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: I hope every one came out ok!!! Sometimes our mortality is taken for granted. Hope you get a nice replacement car and that everybody is well. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote:Well I was in a bad car accident last night I'm ok but car is banged up. Needless to say no range trip last night but I'm going up tonight with rental car so look for video around 930 pm eastern
Holy Crap!! Glad you're ok. That's the most important thing. It sucks but it's just a car and can be replaced. You can't. We'll be here when you get to the video. :thumbsup:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Leaving the range now it was a success. The recoil was beating me up a little bit, I'm still a little sore from the accident I had a hard time holding the gun right. . I'm going to go home and upload the videos. I don't know how to put the video player on this page so I'll probably just post a link or 2 to the YouTube videos. No problems with the 1976 or 1946 ammo.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote:Leaving the range now it was a success. The recoil was beating me up a little bit, I'm still a little sore from the accident I had a hard time holding the gun right. . I'm going to go home and upload the videos. I don't know how to put the video player on this page so I'll probably just post a link or 2 to the YouTube videos. No problems with the 1976 or 1946 ammo.
Don't ya just love technology? Guy's at the range shooting a rifle that was made when TV was still in it's infancy and he's giving us an update that's going to all corners of the world in real time only 70 years later. Putting the links from youtube on is easy. There's a youtube button in the header of the new post window. Just click it and insert the link from youtube. If you need help we're here to walk you through it.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:pop: :pop: :pop:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Here we go guys sorry it took so long video quality is ok had it set low by accident but still HD used my HTC EVO with HD 3d camera. Also have the 43 Tula Laminate in video.
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

:D I was running behind and got there late at 7:45 just 15 minutes before sundown and the state game lands close at sundown so ill get some more videos posted soon of just the ex dragoon more of a close up look and shooting video. Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I finally got my hearing back.in my left ear from the side curtain airbag punching me in the side of the head.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rollndice83 wrote::D I was running behind and got there late at 7:45 just 15 minutes before sundown and the state game lands close at sundown so ill get some more videos posted soon of just the ex dragoon more of a close up look and shooting video. Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I finally got my hearing back.in my left ear from the side curtain airbag punching me in the side of the head.
Well we're glad you're on the mend first of all. I have to say nothing beats a video. The Dragoon has a nice crisp ejection. The laminate was not quite a good but was still fine in my opinion. They were both clearing the rifle fine. I've tried taking video and the camera I have does but it makes AVI's that are huge, 100s of MBs and I'm on metered usage so I have to be real careful. Don't ya love these old rifles?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice. I was thinkin the same thing Mike, The old girls looked good in use. Nice vid. Looks like a nice range too. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

That's why technology and interaction with other Mosin Nagant enthusiasts is awesome. I'm real happy with the ex dragoons performance today and bolt has smoothedout a lot more. The Tula does have a smoother action and I thought it ejected better but maybe you guys are right. But then again watching the video I may have not been pulling back on bolt as hard with the Tula because it seemed to throw the steel a few times real decent too but after you both said that I did notice a crisper ejecting ping with ex dragoon compared to Tula.

Also that is Pennsylvania state game lands pubic pistol and rifle range. It used to be free but now its $25 a year still cheap. Downside its only 50 & 100 yards great for the Mosins not as much for pistols but I did get pretty proficient with my Beretta 92fs at 50 yards and heck ill shoot at small steel plates at 100 for fun. I usually find myself going alone which is a bummer sometimes because my friend who shoots too always has something better to do like there is anything right ?
WeldonHunter

Re: 129 Ex-Dragoon or 1930's Tula Hex Need Help(VIDEO ADDED)

Post by WeldonHunter »

I just watched the video again and the frist round out of the dragoon was a bit short but the second, third and fourth were launched pretty far. The laminate seemed to throw them shorter but I did see you didn't quite pull back as fast. The first round or two but after that it did fine. The goal is ejecting them and they did fine. I was actually worried because they were going into your stuff and thought "man those might melt something", lol. Fine pair of shooters you have there. Don't let anyone talk you into changing them from what they are. The best part about these rifles is you pulled it out of a box, cleaned them after decades of storage and they shoot like that. Telling people that is part of the fun. I use a vz24 Mauser to hunt deer and it's exactly the way it was from the arsenal. If I could go back in time and hand it to a soldier he could carry it into battle the way it is. Oh and we still have a place in PA. It's near Shade Gap. Huntingdon County. Shade Gap is actually about 12 miles from the place. Spent a lot of time up there. Great hunting.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

WeldonHunter wrote:I just watched the video again and the frist round out of the dragoon was a bit short but the second, third and fourth were launched pretty far. The laminate seemed to throw them shorter but I did see you didn't quite pull back as fast. The first round or two but after that it did fine. The goal is ejecting them and they did fine. I was actually worried because they were going into your stuff and thought "man those might melt something", lol. Fine pair of shooters you have there. Don't let anyone talk you into changing them from what they are. The best part about these rifles is you pulled it out of a box, cleaned them after decades of storage and they shoot like that. Telling people that is part of the fun. I use a vz24 Mauser to hunt deer and it's exactly the way it was from the arsenal. If I could go back in time and hand it to a soldier he could carry it into battle the way it is. Oh and we still have a place in PA. It's near Shade Gap. Huntingdon County. Shade Gap is actually about 12 miles from the place. Spent a lot of time up there. Great hunting.
How often do you come up too Pa still? You'll have to let me know if you come up anytime again. Your exactly right. My friend doesn't get the appeal with these guns I love the fact how much character they have and its like a box of chocolates, you really never know what your going to get in that Brown box when you order a surplus Mosin. Just to think how long its been sitting dormant waiting to be fired again, who's hands were on it and who has been in its sight picture. To think they have made it all the way from Russia and after several decades they work fantastic. I wonder if all mine were used in a battle at some point?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I haven't been up there for about three years. The house is in real bad condition. Not livable. We have 15 acres and my uncle has 15 acres next to us. Actually the last trip there was to retrieve as much as we could out of the place. The neighbors have already gone through most of what was there. I did get a few nice things from my childhood. Like all my albums, some cast iron cookware that was my greatgrandmothers and an old Sears/Parmak solar electric fence controller that had been sitting in the field for 25 years...turned on. It was from 1983 and was an mechanical/electric breaker point model. I've since rebuilt it with a solid state control head and bought a new battery. It still has the original solar cell. The great thing about it is the case it came in. It looks like it's only a few years old and it'll knock you if you touch it.

You're right about these rifles. They ooze history and that's what hurts some much when we see someone talking about screwing with that. You have to appreciate where they've been and what they've done to understand what they are. If you don't take the time to do that you may as well be shooting a modern rifle. Your description is one I hadn't seen put the way you did. "who's hands were on it and who has been in its sight picture" So true and so to the point. These rifles helped you and I be here today to be talking about them on this forum. I doubt there'd even be an internet if the war had gone another way. Oh and I'd be willing to bet my last ten cents your rifle's were used on the battlefield. That's most likely the reason it's been refurbed. It was used. Some of these rifles have corrosion/rust consistant with blood being on them for a period of time. Oh yeah they were used.