Balkin M-91 for showcase consideration

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Balkin M-91 for showcase consideration

Post by SA1911a1 »

Mosin-Nagant M-91

[align=center]Interpretation[/align][/b]
The receiver of this rifle was manufactured at the Tula Arsenal, near Moscow in 1895, giving “antique status” for the purposes of American firearm regulations, and therefore exempt from most gun regulations. This early receiver was dated four years after Russian acceptance of the Three Line Rifle system. It may have been assembled as a firearm at this time, or the receiver may have been shelved for years. The rifle’s barrel, dated 1911, was probably a replacement after the original was worn out or damaged, but, there is no present way to confirm this theory.

The Izhevsk Barrel, dated 1911, was mated to the receiver sometime during or after the 1911 date. There is, on the barrel shank, in addition to the pre-1928 Izhevsk bow and arrow marking, a pre-1928 Tula hammer stamp. I surmise that the Tula barrel shank mark was added to the barrel at the time of this fabrication. In any case, it is a very curious

Circled Cyrillic letter “D” marking to the left of the Izhevsk mark. The “Circle D” mark on the barrel shank is generally an accepted Serbian property mark, indicating that this rifle was sold or given to the Serbians, who were an ally of Russia, before the Balkan wars. This rifle probably served first in the war against Turkey, then the next year in the alliance of Serbia and Montenegro, against Bulgaria. Serbia, Montenegro, and Bulgaria are commonly referred to in the Mosin-Nagant collector community as “The Balkans”, and any rifle from one of these countries is spoken of, sometimes derisively, as a “Balkans Rifle.” There is also a partial capital “C” on the top of the tang of the rifle, but it is too faint to photograph. The “C” in the Cyrillic alphabet is the equivalent of an “S” in the English alphabet; this mark is generally accepted as standing for “Serbia.” The original Imperial Russian marks on the top of the barrel shank have been scrubbed, and the Original Imperial markings on the Receiver have been “pinged.” The responsibility of the defacement is not known, but there could be several suspects, as not many residents of Europe were enamored by Tsar Nicholas during this period, and tended to destroy the Romanov double-headed eagle on captured Russian equipment.

On the dark wood stock of this rifle are many markings, most of which are not documented. The most interesting mark on this stock is a very faint German cartouche known as the Deutsches Reich mark. The German Deutsches Reich marking on the stock indicates that this rifle, or at least this rifle stock, was captured by the Germans during the First World War. There is a serial number on the left side of the stock, along with a small star-shaped or “sunburst” mark that I have not been able to cross reference.
It is unclear to me which country imported this rifle into the U.S. as there is only the serial number added to the receiver, with no other import markings. It is even possible that the serial on the receiver was not an “import” marking at all..

The details of this rifle’s history will probably never be known, but it is sure that it is a war veteran, and probably of several wars.
The history, known, but mostly unknown, of this rifle makes it a very interesting antique firearm.

Note: This interpretation or misinterpretation is based on information purloined from several sources; Terence Lapin’s, the Mosin-Nagant Rifle, and articles from several outstanding on-line forums. I claim no original research, errors are mine, and corrections would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SA1911a1 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
dou44

Re: Balkin M-91 for showcase consideration

Post by dou44 »

nice you have my vote on an interesting rifle :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Dang Steve, that one has been around Europe. I like your pics with the info too. I will admit that I am not a Balkanized rifle fan, but that has got to be the most interesting and best one I have seen. You got my vote for sure. :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A stellar post & a most worthy Mosin. Who can say no to that??? Post it up Good Sir!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

You have my vote for that veteran of no doubt numerous conflicts.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I vote double for that one Steve. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

I like it SA, in a couple of those full length pics that stock color looks Remington. Got my vote :thumbsup: make that two votes, when I showed it to the dog
he wagged his tail. (smart dog) :D

Red
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

redspoon wrote:I like it SA, in a couple of those full length pics that stock color looks Remington. Got my vote :thumbsup: make that two votes, when I showed it to the dog
he wagged his tail. (smart dog) :D

Red
The stock looks like American black walnut to me too, but I left that speculation out.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice presentation. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice writeup Steve. This antique is beautiful. How does it shoot? I know you like to shoot em, not just gawk at em! Of course this one is worthy of gawking and has my vote. Can you guys imagine how difficult picking a contest winner is going to be?
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

TulaTom wrote:Nice presentation. :thumbsup:
+1 very nice presentation
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thanks for all of the kind words guys!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Can't leave me out on this one. That IS nice.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bb91

Post by bb91 »

clayshooter2 wrote:
TulaTom wrote:Nice presentation. :thumbsup:
+1 very nice presentation
+2 very, very nice presentation! Great job! :thumbsup:
popgun

Post by popgun »

:ani-pop: :ani-pop: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pop: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: what more can i say! popgun :popgun: :popgun: