Who wants 54r on strippers?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Who wants 54r on strippers?

Post by bunkysdad »

Here is a picture before I opened it. Yes, this was 300 rounds on strippers. I used it for posing pics of my 44 Izhevsk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MnMosin

Post by MnMosin »

In 2012 I bought a 300 round tin on strippers from AIM and it looked just like the silver can. Wish I had bought more.
bunkysdad wrote:Here is a picture before I opened it. Yes, this was 300 rounds on strippers. I used it for posing pics of my 44 Izhevsk.
Mark in MN

Post by WWW »

bunkysdad wrote:Here is a picture before I opened it. Yes, this was 300 rounds on strippers. I used it for posing pics of my 44 Izhevsk.
Your 300 round tin is longer than the tins we are getting now, which is why it had more rounds. My unpainted tin and my green tin are both the same dimensions and both contain 250 rounds. I say they both are on strippers.
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:Here has been my brief experience with soldered ammo cans. Cans with 250 rounds have been on stripper clips. Non-stripper clipped ammo cans contain 300 rounds. Someone needs to open their UN-painted can. :P
I have seen larger cans of 440 in soldered cans and I bought a can on strippers that I opened and can't remember how many rounds but I think 300.
Those were 300rds on strippers Russell. That's the Russian stuff that came in a few years ago. The market was flooded with it. That's where most of the strippers everyone's selling now came from.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yep that is right. Dated 1946 and this is the stuff that was getting some split cases. That is no problem to me, as the old cases go in the trash can.
Historyfan

Post by Historyfan »

UPS brought my stuff today. One Galv. Can and one painted Olive Drab. The olive can has very clear and sharp markings and will sleep peacefully with my un opened crate. The Galv. Can had lots of " white rust " on it and none of the writing could be made out. It had the soldered tear strip on one end of the can with a D ring for pulling. Being I couldnt read the markings on this silver can I opened it. FYI the end opens not the top like our later Spam cans. Inside........paper packs of Brass cased rounds dated 1950 ON STRIPPER CLIPS!! Woooohoooo. The guy who called me from the ammo company said silver cans did not contain clips. I got 250 rounds in this can, the paper packs were all deteriorated but the ammo looks great. Range report to follow this weekend.

Thanks again to the OP for the link to buy this. I could not be more pleased. :D
Dan

1930 Tula 91/30
1934 Ishevsk 91/30
1943 Ishevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper
1944 M44

Post by WWW »

Ah-haaa! I knew it! The seller was mistaken, and probably made the same initial assumption I did when I first compared the two different tins side by side at the LGS where I found them.

So tell me, do the stripper clips in the "unpainted" galvanized tin have any markings on them? I'm betting not, if my unpainted tin with 1950 dated rounds is any indication.

This begs another question. Are the unmarked strippers (from the unpainted tin) any better, or worse, than the circle 10 strippers that are in the painted tins?
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I got mine too and it is a green can with light ball. I can't bring myself to open it though and one reason I bought it was for the clips. What to do..., what to do... :roll: I know what you guys want but it ain't happening... ain't I tell you... :twisted: :furious:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

So is nobody taking pictures of this treasure?
Historyfan

Post by Historyfan »

No markings on the clips. Light haze of rust just on a couple clips that were next to the end of the can. Paper wrappers with string, but all pretty much deteriorated. I'll get some pics later today.
Dan

1930 Tula 91/30
1934 Ishevsk 91/30
1943 Ishevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper
1944 M44

Post by WWW »

The contents of the galvanized tins should look the same as the pictures I posted of the ammo on strippers in the "Ammo question" thread. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of what is in the painted tins (circle 10 strippers), or even of both types so we can see the difference side by side.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Got mine this afternoon. :thumbsup:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Both of mine showed up today. These are smaller cans, the same size as a .30 cal ammo can.

Those who opened them, can you take some pics of whats inside because I am putting mine away and I am curious as whats inside.
Kollaa kestää
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

These really are nice. I only bought one green can but I sure am happy I did. Be careful guys with that piece of metal that is the pull tab. I nearly cut my finger open on that sharp corner sheet metal. :shock:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I wonder if these green cans were painted at a later date? They are in good shape for a 1942 can.
Kollaa kestää
B24

Post by B24 »

Lee-online, your can and Titanium Hammer's green cans are the same. My green can is identical to the one
BubbaDX has pictured back on page 3. Can anyone here interpret?
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

B24 wrote:Lee-online, your can and Titanium Hammer's green cans are the same. My green can is identical to the one
BubbaDX has pictured back on page 3. Can anyone here interpret?
I think our green cans are identical to BubbaDX's & your silver cans, just painted green.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think these we're stored in some seriously dry conditions.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

They have different pull tabs to open so, are not the same and just painted green. They may have the same ammo on clips.

Now I am really curious as to what's inside
Kollaa kestää
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I have a green one also. I really wanna see inside. I think I might just open it......dilemma. My only mistake was not buying two. :vsad:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington