Who wants 54r on strippers?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Historyfan

Re: Who wants 54r on strippers?

Post by Historyfan »

I got the same call. The guy on the phone was very polite and I said I would take one can with and one without. He said he was adding some silicon Gun Cleaning cloths in the shipment by way of making up for the mistake. I'll distribute those to my boys for their newer firearms and I will have one can of .28 cents per round surplus I can shoot and keep my can with the Stripper Clips with my unopened Crate. It's all good as far as I'm concerned.
Dan

1930 Tula 91/30
1934 Ishevsk 91/30
1943 Ishevsk 91/30 Ex Sniper
1944 M44
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

wow really upset i missed out on this! i have been looking for stripper clips. i figured these cans have been long sold out and have not been looking for one
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I talked to them today. Same story, they were very polite and ups is delivering 1 can with clips and 1 without. Not a big deal I am looking forward to see what I am getting.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

BubbaDX wrote:I talked to them today. Same story, they were very polite and ups is delivering 1 can with clips and 1 without. Not a big deal I am looking forward to see what I am getting.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Same here, they called and left a message for me to call them. I called and same story. 1 can of each is on the way. Should be here Friday.

Nice to see they handled it fair. I saved them in my ammo favorites and will buy from them again.
Kollaa kestää
B24

Post by B24 »

No call and mine arrives on Thursday. Ordered 1 can so I assume mine will be strippers, we'll see.
The question now is do I open it or leave it sealed, I have a 440 rnd can I just opened. I'm thinking
About sitting on it and see if the value increases.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The value will increase, but the question is what is the value to you to not access your ammo to shoot it. There needs to be a balance between enjoying your guns and ammo and dying someday with stockpiles of weapons and stacks of unopened spam cans of ammo. Someone else will have to deal with them then.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Damn right value goes up on ammo. I paid less than .20 a round for US M2 ball back in the mid 90's. It's still sitting there 400 rounds to a .50 ammo can, it's a big stack of cans. Same for the 3.2 cents a round Turkish 8mm, you don't even want to know about the 7.62x51mm crates.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

UPS delivered my 2 spam cans today. Here is what they look like. The green can has the stripper clips, the grey can does not. I do not plan to open them to verify that. These are actually pretty cool cans.

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Peadog

Post by Peadog »

I recieved two of the green cans and one galvanized can, I opened one of the green cans and it had 250 brass cased rounds installed in circle 10 stripper clips. It was a good day. :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Peadog how bout showing some pictures of the opened can.

Post by WWW »

Color me suspicious, but your unpainted tin looks like my unpainted tin. And my unpainted tin contained ammo that came on strippers. In fact, I wonder if they made the same original assumption that I made, which was that since the contents of the can were loose inside compared to the green painted tins, that they weren't on strippers.

Now I could be wrong, but who wants to verify my thought? Or has one of you already opened one of your unpainted tins and found only ammo?
BubbaDX wrote:UPS delivered my 2 spam cans today. Here is what they look like. The green can has the stripper clips, the grey can does not. I do not plan to open them to verify that. These are actually pretty cool cans.

Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.

Post by WWW »

bunkysdad wrote:Peadog how bout showing some pictures of the opened can.
I second this motion. I am curious as to how the green tins are packaged, as I haven't opened mine yet.

As I showed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21388, the unpainted tin had ammo wrapped in paper which was disintegrating, and was allowing the contents to shift in the can. If the green tins are packed in boxes, that would explain why the contents don't shift inside the tin even though it contains the same number of rounds on strippers.
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

got my green can in today opened it and got that whiff of 1953 bulgarian air the rounds are in tightly packed, paper wrapped bundles of two clips tied with string blued steel clips circle 10 marked brass cased ammo bullets look to me to be heavy ball rather tha light ball n

Post by WWW »

Sgt lamb wrote:got my green can in today opened it and got that whiff of 1953 bulgarian air the rounds are in tightly packed, paper wrapped bundles of two clips tied with string blued steel clips circle 10 marked brass cased ammo bullets look to me to be heavy ball rather tha light ball n
That might be the difference right there. If the green tin is packed two stripper clips per bundle, that would take up more room due to the extra paper than my unpainted tin, which was packed three strippers per bundle, except for two bundles which were packed 2 strippers per bundle (iirc).

When I was in the LGS that I got my tins from, I asked them what color tin the opened bundles came from that they had for sale. They said out of a green tins (2 strippers per bundle), but then someone chimed in that they had some earlier that were three per bundle.
B24

Post by B24 »

Mine was delivered today ( 1 green can ) and I was going to ask how you could tell if you had strippers or not but
I guess my question has been answered. I assume that the glob of solder in the center of the lid is where a vacuum
Was pulled on the can and then sealed? BubbaDX your green can is indentical to mine. I wanted to open it but I
think I'll sit on it for a few years.

BTW...UPS left mine without a signature.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Last year I bought a tin of heavy ball yellow tip on strippers. I think it was about the same price as this ammo. I wasn't looking for the strippers but it came with them. You will soon find that actually using the strippers will do some damage to your thumbs until you learn the technique. I just load by hand, no strippers.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Sgt lamb wrote:got my green can in today opened it and got that whiff of 1953 bulgarian air the rounds are in tightly packed, paper wrapped bundles of two clips tied with string blued steel clips circle 10 marked brass cased ammo bullets look to me to be heavy ball rather tha light ball n
If your tin has these symbols next the the 7.62 - "Л ГЛ" they mean Л - Light Ball and ГЛ - Brass Case
Peadog

Post by Peadog »

[img]<iframe%20width="480"%20height="360"%20src="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/peado ... "></iframe>[/img]

my first try at a picture.
Peadog

Post by Peadog »

Oops
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Here has been my brief experience with soldered ammo cans. Cans with 250 rounds have been on stripper clips. Non-stripper clipped ammo cans contain 300 rounds. Someone needs to open their UN-painted can. :P
I have seen larger cans of 440 in soldered cans and I bought a can on strippers that I opened and can't remember how many rounds but I think 300.