Ruger Old Model Single Six 22LR

Rim Fire Firearms
BubbaDX

Ruger Old Model Single Six 22LR

Post by BubbaDX »

I had the day off work Friday to run a couple errands. But I also managed to visit 4 of the 5 gun shops that I frequent and grab lunch with a buddy. While browsing through one of the shops I was making my second pass over the display and spotted a used revolver that I had not seen on my first pass. Hint: always make multiple passes by the display counters :wink: . I asked to look at it and found a very solid Ruger revolver with a lot of holster wear. It operated very well while it is quite dirty I found no powder residue. As you can see in a couple of these pictures, every crevice on this revolver is full of lint and dust from sitting in the holster. I could not get a good look at the bore, but the little light I got down the muzzle showed a possible mirror surface. I will find out today when I pull it apart and give it a good cleaning. I would like to know the year it was manufactured, but I am guessing sometime in the 60's. I don't know how much use this revolver has had, you rarely ever do with a used firearm. But I am guessing its seen a ton of carry and storage in the holster, but very little actual use. The holster is probably every bit as old and needs a little TLC as well. Now for the pics.

Lets start with a shot of the holster. Here you can see how much wear this holster has. This has been worn a lot, either around the farm or hunting I suspect.
100_5111 (Small).jpg
100_5112 (Small).jpg
There is a small bit of paint missing on the Ruger logo on the right side of the grip, but no gouges. You can also see the grips do not show that much wear. It's been used, but I am not sure it's been fired that much.
100_5117 (Small).jpg
You can see what looks like a small amount of surface rust starting on the hammer. There are a couple spots on the barrel also.
100_5118 (Small).jpg
The little brown specs you see on the revolver here are from the holster. It's little pieces of the interior of the holster coming off and sticking to the revolver.
100_5120 (Small).jpg
The Ruger logo on the left side of the grip is in perfect shape. Again you can see how well these grips have held up over the years.
100_5123 (Small).jpg
In this picture you can see the amount of dirt covering the screws in the back of the frame. Again, no powder residue, just years of lint.
100_5127 (Small).jpg
100_5128 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
BubbaDX

Re: Ruger Old Model Single Six 22LR

Post by BubbaDX »

I had a chance to clean it this past weekend and besides the bluing thats wore off, there really is not anything wrong with it that I can find. The bore is like a mirror with sharp lands and grooves. I am tempted to do a full disassembly but I need to familiarize myself more with how it comes apart and goes back together first.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I love the three screw Rugers; yours looks like it was somebody's working gun for a long time. Looks in good shape. I've had mine for about 20 years and have had to have a few parts replaced, including the firing pin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You found a gem! That is a very old 3 screw old model Single Six. The 6 digit serial numbers started in 1959 and if I am seeing your 5 digit number correctly then yours was made in 1957. The serial number started at 55346 in 1957. The 5 digit number in 1958 started at 88245. Your number looks like 62xx ? I would love to find me one of these. They have the old cowboy look that Bill Ruger loved with the rear fixed sight. Very sweet looking with the wear shown on yours.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It was $175, right?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Tj, very nice. Yours perhaps 1962? I can't see the serial clearly on either of you guys revolvers, but I think I got close. All of the serial # info is available at the ruger website, but it is quicker to google search Ruger serial numbers
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

bunkysdad wrote:You found a gem! That is a very old 3 screw old model Single Six. The 6 digit serial numbers started in 1959 and if I am seeing your 5 digit number correctly then yours was made in 1957. The serial number started at 55346 in 1957. The 5 digit number in 1958 started at 88245. Your number looks like 62xx ? I would love to find me one of these. They have the old cowboy look that Bill Ruger loved with the rear fixed sight. Very sweet looking with the wear shown on yours.
Serial #62230. So 1957, very cool. I knew there was a way to date it but I had not researched it enough to find out. It has that been there done that look and I just had to buy it.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

tjtM38 wrote:I love the three screw Rugers; yours looks like it was somebody's working gun for a long time. Looks in good shape. I've had mine for about 20 years and have had to have a few parts replaced, including the firing pin.
That's a very cool Ruger. I like those grips. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think you are correct on mine, I think it was carried while working the farm or maybe while hunting.
Last edited by BubbaDX on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

millman wrote:It was $175, right?
$190 plus tax. They had bricks of 22lr so I picked up one of those also.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BubbaDX wrote:
millman wrote:It was $175, right?
$190 plus tax. They had bricks of 22lr so I picked up one of those also.
Around here they would want 300+ for it, and there would be NO ammo to buy for it. Nice find.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

That is a real beauty and the price...Wow, what a deal..... Thanks for sharing..
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

At the local Gander Mountain they were having a huge sale the other day. Buy a Sig 1911 45acp and get a free Sig 1911 22lr. A friend of my brother took advantage. Then they sold him some 22 ammo. 40 bricks. That is 4 cases. That is 40,000 rounds! I have been to that store 10 times looking for 22 ammo and they tell me they are out of stock. Lying bastards. At 250.00 per case he spent a grand on 22 ammo and admits he is gonna resell it.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

bunkysdad wrote:Tj, very nice. Yours perhaps 1962? I can't see the serial clearly on either of you guys revolvers, but I think I got close. All of the serial # info is available at the ruger website, but it is quicker to google search Ruger serial numbers
Yes; mine starts with 196 and would appear to be late '62 or early '63 production.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have a single six new model in 17 hmr but sadly no 22 yet. My 22 convertible with the mag cylinder was stolen years ago.