M24 vs K98

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
aarbeh

M24 vs K98

Post by aarbeh »

So I have been looking over the K98 exploded view diagram and wondered If I could get some insight as to the differences (main) between a M24 and K98 mauser mechanically speaking. Specifically in floor plate (clip) trigger guard assembly. Looks to me that most K98 mauser floor plates will fit a M24 the same. They are both have holes 7.5" on center and depth looks equal. Trying to put together a m24 sport rifle and seem to be only missing this piece.

For instance : http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/tr ... 24705.aspx

Thanks
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M24 vs K98

Post by millman »

Do you mean a Czech VZ24? Parts from a VZ24 will work on a k98. If you mean a yugo M24 or 24/47, the floorplate won't interchange. This might help. http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... rence.html
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

I was told this is a m24 ? ? ? ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes it is from FN (fabrica nationale belgium something like that). It is a M24 or M24/30. not sure of the differences on that part. JYD would likely know. IT was a 7mm though so it is different then the k98 in that respect. I will look around and see what i can find out. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

"looks like a 1893-1896 small ring. Could be Mexican, I can't see the markings clearly. These were originally 7mm"

Great! Well I have looked up allot of floor plates on line $30-40 avg and they have a 7.5" hole spacing center to center. I measured this gun at its holes on center are 7.5 on the money. Seems to me a K98 Floor plate will work just fine. But I have limited knowledge at this point so I don't trust my assessment. Have plans to have a smith check the chamber size/caliber of this rifle monday. My hope is thats its .270 or smaller because Im not so sure I want to fire a .30-06 and get a bolt in the head or eye :(
That might be why It was put up in storage. Someone re-bored it for .30-06 and then found out how dangerous it could be and gave up on it. Just a theory.
If thats the case not sure what to do with it ........

Seems the K98 and M24 are mechanically very similar ?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Maybe looked like this to start with. According to you it had the swords logo like the one on the link from the other post right?
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=84399
I know the crest on this one is not the same but as a whole rifle....
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If you had a stock to put it in you could maybe get closer. I am not sure of the floor plates but i have a couple of yugos i could measure from the center of the screws for you if you like. I also have a couple of turks, one older and one kkale i can check to see if they are the same. Will take a minute to do this though. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not an M24/30, this one you have is a small ring Mauser action, the later 1898 action is a large ring ( this refers to the front of the receiver were the barrel screws in) This is the same action used on the 1893 Spanish, 1895 Chilean, 1893 Turkish, and many other contract Mauser's. Two locking lugs rather than three, and no gas shield on the cocking piece. FN did make some of these, however this one is DWM marked, DWM owned FN, but FN receivers are marked as such, German made ones are marked as this one is with the DWM on the side like the later built 1891 and 1909 Argentines. If you look at his receiver there is no gas shield on the end of the bolt, and the receiver is flat, no bulge in front from the larger ring. Compare it to pics of any 1898 Mauser, 24/47, Turk K Kale, M48 to see what I mean. Then look at that video I posted last weekend about the 1893 Turk.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

OK on the ones i have. The 2 turks are approximately 7 7/8 or at least 7 3/4, on the M24/47 it is smaller but not by much and the screws are different, 7 5/8 or 7 1/2 at least. Will go to numerich and look for you. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ok they don't have to much for parts for a M24 mexican but they have some for the M1910 mexican. If you can find someone that knows if they are the same, and they likely are here is the part you want. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... catid=4193
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

So I think a K98 floor plate will work fine. Now I just have to find one but until after I confirm the chamber size ........

Thanks all.

@J-dog will do
@desdem12 thanks no rush

Found this on another forum: Don't be jealous (just kidding)

Page 116 in De Haas: "The "small ring" Mauser actions have a receiver ring diameter of about 1.300". A lot of the early M98 carbines, like the 98a were based on the small ring action. The most notable later carbine using this action was the lightweight Czech 33/40."
Page 117: The short Mexican M98 action was once the known of the short actions. It is 8.50" in overall length. These Mexican actions, either small or large ring type, are scarce."
First picture I found while thumbing through Ball was page 281, Peruvian Vz32 with small ring. Page 249, a small ring Mexican, page 254 small ring Mexican short action. Also page 254, FN built Moroccan action....
Last edited by aarbeh on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not exactly the same, but of this style of receiver, note that it is very similar to a Mosin receiver in that it is a basic straight tube without any raised areas from barrel to tang. Your receiver pic is blurry, but I see no sign of a large ring on there.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If you have access to any milsurps around you, This would be really close to a spanish mauser (spain). It would almost look the same. With the bolt if it was originaly bent and is the bolt that goes with it then it was probly a carbine. I don't have any spanish but it is not from lack of trying. :roll: :lol:
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

Found this on another forum: Don't be jealous (just kidding)

Page 116 in De Haas: "The "small ring" Mauser actions have a receiver ring diameter of about 1.300". A lot of the early M98 carbines, like the 98a were based on the small ring action. The most notable later carbine using this action was the lightweight Czech 33/40."
Page 117: The short Mexican M98 action was once the known of the short actions. It is 8.50" in overall length. These Mexican actions, either small or large ring type, are scarce."
First picture I found while thumbing through Ball was page 281, Peruvian Vz32 with small ring. Page 249, a small ring Mexican, page 254 small ring Mexican short action. Also page 254, FN built Moroccan action....

I think the 98 floor plate will fit nicely. Now I am gona find out its chambered .308 and not want to use it......... sigh hope not because then its just scrap.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can still shoot it if it's .308, just don't get carried away, and carefully check the headspace. This is identical to my Spanish 1893 action, and my 1895 Chilean, I have one of them out and if I remember I will snap a pic of the receiver and bolt later.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

OK, we got some pics, these pics depict a typical 1893-1896 small ring action, in this case 1895 Chilean, and a typical 1898 large ring action. We will not get into the short actions, or large ring small shank barrels, just basic actions.

Small ring Mauser action
Small ring Mauser bolt, typical of kind, this one has a bent handle as it is on a carbine.
Large ring 1898 Mauser action, typical of kind, this one on a K Kale Turk

Large ring Mauser bolt shown with small ring Mauser bolt, note the third locking lug by the bolt handle, this is not on the small ring bolt, note also the flare on the cocking piece, this is to prevent gas from a ruptured cartridge from blasting into your face, it is not on the small ring bolt
Large ring third lug and gas shield closeup
Bent handle is small ring, straight handle is large ring closeup of cocking piece.

Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is a great picture for differences. I can see a ton of different stuff on the bolt especialy. Nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mauser rifle development cooked right along between 1889 and 1898, to this day not much has been found to improve on the basic 1898 Mauser design for a bolt rifle action. The most copied rifle in the world, USA, UK ( pattern 1914) Japan with the Arisaka, all Mauser variants.
Theodore Roosevelt
aarbeh

Post by aarbeh »

I found it ! I found the floor plate trigger guard and spring. I had to dig around for a while. The bolt actually looks more like the one on the left (in last picture) so ya for sure light version. Not allot of parts to these things I guess. I really hope this is not over chambered but I will find out monday.

The project continues ..........
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Small ring Mauser bolt, very likely .308, these actions originally chambered the 7mm cartridge, or the 7.65mm, both of these cartridges are a similar length as the .308 so the .308 would fit into the magazine easily without any modifications. The .30-06 is as long as the 8mm Mauser, when the Turks converted their 1893 small ring actions to 8mm they had to make that little half moon cutout you see in the ring above so the bullet tip would clear into the magazine. The Spanish converted a number of their older 7mm Mauser's to .7.62x51mm ( .308) in the 60's and 70's.
Theodore Roosevelt