Polish Kar. 98AZ

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Emdawg

Polish Kar. 98AZ

Post by Emdawg »

Picked this up not too long ago.

Very nice example of the Polish copy (or refurbishment?) of the German Karabiner 98AZ. Apparently these were later sold, by the Poles, to the Spanish Republicans during their Civil War against the Nationalists.

Mostly matcing and the bore is outstanding.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Polish Kar. 98AZ

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Wow a nice rare piece. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I have a polish wz29 that was refurbed at zbrovka brno and was scrubbed there. The 98az is even rarer then the 29 as far as I can tell. Does it have the Z in a circle mark from being at the Czech arsenal? I can t see any from the photos. Most of these rifles were destroyed for their receivers to make the Spanish m43 and m44 rifles. Not a lot survived to come here. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

Looks like the one I have. Mine has a scrubbed receiver.

Sent From The Telegraph Office
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

desdem12 wrote:Wow a nice rare piece. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I have a polish wz29 that was refurbed at zbrovka brno and was scrubbed there. The 98az is even rarer then the 29 as far as I can tell. Does it have the Z in a circle mark from being at the Czech arsenal? I can t see any from the photos. Most of these rifles were destroyed for their receivers to make the Spanish m43 and m44 rifles. Not a lot survived to come here. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The scrubbed Polish Mausers supplied to the Communist "Red Republicans" in the Spanish Civil War were scrubbed in Poland, not Czechoslovakia, although a few Czech VZ-24 rifles also went to Spain. Both the Polish and Czechs used the "Circle Z" marking, although the Polish version is often larger, the circle is more of an oval, and the Z sometimes has a European style crossbar in the middle. From what I have observed, SCW Polish Kar 98a's are more common than WZ-29's... and a lot of WW1 German made Kar 98a's were supplied to the Communists by Poland and to the Anti-Communist Nationalists by Germany. The WZ-29 is basically an upgraded Kar 98a, with a large ring receiver and more modern VZ-24 style stock - they both use the same identical barrel assembly. The Spanish M43 and M44 rifles use large ring receivers, not the small ring version used on the German and Polish versions of the 98a.

Many late production Polish Kar 98a rifles were originally outfitted with WZ-29 stocks at the factory, and many Polish, Spanish, and WW2 German refurbed Polish and German 98a's were outfitted with WZ-29 stocks....something to keep in mind here for anyone who might come across a sporterized German or Polish 98a, since original German and Polish 98a stocks and especially the handguards are a lot harder to find than a WZ-29 stock - which is not a common item either.

Considering the overall extremely high quality, general scarcity, and historical significance of the Polish Mausers, whether they remained in Europe (and ended up in German and Soviet hands) or went to Spain, these rifle are generally way underappreciated, undervalued, and unknown. Thus they make great bargains for the collector. The scrubbed versions go for a lot less than ones with intact Polish markings , but are no less historical or high quality.

I myself love Spanish Civil War Mausers and Mosins - every one I see gives me a warm fuzzy feeling as I think of dead Communists or the wretched, defeated Red rabble that survived to be literally "swept into the sea" by the victorious Nationalist forces, up to their armpits in the cold salt water with their arms raised in surrender. Being a Californian, I have dreams and visions of our own Red Filth, the California Legislature (and especially the Democrats in it) meeting a similar end in the Pacific Ocean.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Keep in mind Marcus, the nationalists in Spain were fascists, in other words The Nazi's. Lets try not to repeat too many of Europe's mistakes here in the US. Lets make sure it's freedom loving Americans who drive the reds into the sea here, not some f***in dictator.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Thanks guys.

Until I got this, I thought the Polish Kar. 98AZ and the Wz. 29 were practically the same gun. :oops: