Jap Type 38 value

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
MarksmanTim

Jap Type 38 value

Post by MarksmanTim »

Hey guys,

A week ago I was at my LGS, and as always I checked out the small selection of Milsurp type rifles they had for sale. They've had a Type 38 on the rack for quite a long time. This time I looked at the price and they wanted $150 for it. This price seemed "too cheap"! I didn't look at the bore, but that would be the only thing holding the value down if indeed it was shot out. Otherwise it appeared to be in good condition and even had a dust cover.

What is the going rate for these? If it's still around in a week and the price seems good I may pick it up to fill a hole in the collection.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
etprescottazusa91

Re: Jap Type 38 value

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Type 38 with the dust cover for $150.00 that would be home with me right now. If it has the cleaning rod even better, and if a intact or partially struck mum, a steal. Type 38's made before WWII did not have a bolt serial numbered to the receiver, the bolts had production codes that are visible underneath the handguard that may or may not match up to whats on the bolt. If this rifle is in decent shape that's a pretty good price. :Jflag:
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Anything that has a decent bore and is not chopped is a buy at 150 I think. I would not have hesitated on the type 38. I think you could sell the dust cover for a 100. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I bought a Type 38 last month and I paid less but ...I work there. $150.00 and It would have a brother.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
gurn

Post by gurn »

:pointup: What they all said
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I did not read anything about this rifle having an intact mum, or if the mum was ground, this would effect value, but even a ground mum type 38 in good condition would go for more than $150 today.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Well I went back to the LGS on Friday... the 38 was gone. Must have been a reason I didn't need that one...

They also had a Yugo Mauser M48 with a threaded muzzle. Swiss 1911? straightpull, and behind the counter a few nicer Milsurp examples including a couple of 03A3's and an Arisaka carbine with bayonet (it was the shortest Arisaka I ever saw). I couldn't read the tag to see what model and how much they wanted for it, but I don't think it would have been cheap! The 03A3's they wanted 8-900 for.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Jap type 44. IF the bayo is a fold out kind. BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUY :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is the current rate for a nice 03-A3 :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

desdem12 wrote:Jap type 44. IF the bayo is a fold out kind. BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUY :thumbsup:
I guess I mis-spoke. I meant they attached a bayonet onto the end of the carbine. Not mounted like a MN M44. A retired co-worker has a Jap type 44 WWII bring back, so I know what those look like.
Tim

1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated