I Finally Found My Swiss K31

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
catcracker

I Finally Found My Swiss K31

Post by catcracker »

I first saw one of these models in a pawn shop, and I instantly fell in love with them. And the more I researched them, the more I wanted one.
I am kind of picky with what I purchase. And some of the things I like and/or look for may not even add to its value. With this model, I wanted a walnut stock. I wanted the solders tag under the buttplate, and just an overall nice condition rifle that I could have one of, that would be nice enough to show off to friends and family. And I think I have this here.
This is the second purchase I have made on the internet. I'm not a big fan of buying things I cannot examine in person. But I took a chance, and I think I got a good deal. This was under $300.00.
The only small concern I have is that a lot of the blueing is gone on the receiver. But overall, I am very happy. Everything else is excellent.
I'm not sure if this sling is original. I have posted a pic, where it has some writing on it. Maybe someone could help with that. Also, I have not cleaned it yet.(as you can tell) But I just had to get this on the board.
This is probably the best rifle I have.

Cheers
Cat

For sume reason, the pic is cut off, not showing whole rifle. AArrrrr.Image

Here is the sling. You may have to zoom.

If you zoom in, you can see the Swiss ShieldImage

Blueing is gone.

I know this soldier was from the Mountain Soldier Company. But don't know what any of the information means. This rifle is a 1938 model.
desdem12

Re: I Finally Found My Swiss K31

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice Cat. :vcool: :vcool: I think the Walnut stocks are nicer. Under $300 is a great deal i think. :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Very Nice :thumbsup: troop tag and all. It's made in 1934, it went through a refurb in '57, sling is dated 1955, possibly a replacement.

Info on how to decode the troop tag http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/tags/
Last edited by Greasemonkey on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Very nice! Looks quite used, which I would prefer in a Milsurp versus a freshly uncrated refurbished rifle. I think the stock and worn bluing give it great character.
Plus, I think you paid a good price. The "new" K31's tend to sell for $350-400 from what I've seen lately.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We have been spoiled by all the Soviet refurbs with their new bluing, milsurps that have seen service are expected to have thin bluing. That rifle looks fine :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

You did great Catcracker :thumbsup: that's one of the rifles on my list for this next year.

Red
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

and with a tag also, I missed that, good find, not that many still have a tag in them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

Wait til you go to the range and shoot some GP11 :popgun: They are amazing! Let us know how she does :D
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I like that one catcracker, glad you finally found one that spoke to you. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Thanks. I "officially" get this rifle on, or near after Feb 1, 2013.

Greasemonkey: I looked up serial number. I thought it said made in 1938. How did you come up with 1934?

Thanks
EJTHor

Post by EJTHor »

Wait until you shoot it. They kick like a mule, but man are they accurate. You'll love it.