1943 Sako M39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

1943 Sako M39

Post by millman »

Here is my 1943 Sako. Bolt is not matching, but it has a Polish eagle stamp on it. Kinda neat, I thought. I got a few new pics out in the sun today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Noble Sniper

Re: 1943 Sako M39

Post by Noble Sniper »

Thats a gorgeous M39 ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

That's cool. I like the big fat grips on those rifles.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Love IT :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The Polish Eagle is quite intriguing. As far as I know, the the only work on Mosin Nagants in Poland was done in 1923, 1925 and 1926 at Radom and Arma Lwow (what is now in Lviv, Ukraine) Arsenals. The accepted fate of the nearly 77,000 M91's that were converted to 7.92X57 is that the guns were sold to Spain in the mid 1930's for the SCW.

I'm wondering if the bolt body is a stateside swap. Hmmmm......
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

martin08 wrote:The Polish Eagle is quite intriguing. As far as I know, the the only work on Mosin Nagants in Poland was done in 1923, 1925 and 1926 at Radom and Arma Lwow (what is now in Lviv, Ukraine) Arsenals. The accepted fate of the nearly 77,000 M91's that were converted to 7.92X57 is that the guns were sold to Spain in the mid 1930's for the SCW.

I'm wondering if the bolt body is a stateside swap. Hmmmm......
It could be a stateside swap, but I always figured it must have gotten to Finland in the buy mentioned on the chart in this article. The article also mentions lots of parts bought. http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES1.htm
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Thanks for that link, Millman. I hadn't seen it before. That is a good possibility. Yours is the only bolt handle I've seen with the Polish Eagle that was not on a converted Polish Mosin, though. Good stuff.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Nice M39!

Just goes to show you, when we think things are written in stone, many times they are not. Very unique.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't remember that one Erik. What a beauty. My m39 has a Remington R in a circle in roughly the same area of my bolt. I love these guns.

Sent from my Garminfone using Tapatalk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I just got tickled thinking about the look I get from my wife when she hears me call an old relic a beauty. Or gorgeous, or such things :)

Sent from my Garminfone using Tapatalk
martin08

Post by martin08 »

bunkysdad wrote:I just got tickled thinking about the look I get from my wife when she hears me call an old relic a beauty. Or gorgeous, or such things :)
She'll appreciate that when she's 95 years old. Bet on it.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

bump

C. S. Lewis
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

Beautiful M39 ! Can't wait for a range report.
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt