bolt won't close with round. :(

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jeremyb

bolt won't close with round. :(

Post by jeremyb »

New gun Won’t close the bolt on a round. Not sure whats wrong. Took a pic of the inside—does this look normal. any thoughts.

By bonnoughj at 2012-07-05

Themosinkid95

Re: bolt won't close with round. :(

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Check your headspace get some gauges from okie, our sponsor
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Yes it is normal for a recently imported rifle - all kinds of gunk in there that needs to be cleaned out.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Hombre wrote:Yes it is normal for a recently imported rifle - all kinds of gunk in there that needs to be cleaned out.
how do you clean it out.. can't even get in there...

JB
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You need an end brush or make something up and clean the end of the chamber. Also inside the chamber with a 20ga. shotgun brush and lots of "gun cleaner" (I didn't say which kind!).

I use a long end brush which is a end brush on an extension, but you can do it with a cleaning rod and a patch wrapped on the end.

Dolk

Tooth brush will not really work well because the bristles are facing the wrong way.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Next best thing is a 20ga. brass shotgun brush.

Also:

Pull off the wood stock and run boiling water down from the breach side. The hot water will melt any cosmoline on it and take it out the barrel.

But get that stock off first!!!!!! The water will destroy the stock and finish.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is a problem that has come up lately. Believe me when I say you need to clean that bore. The chamber area that you pictured will likely have so much junk in it that you'd be shocked. Don't trust what you can see. There could be a small burr of metal, and here again you can miss it if you trust your eyes. Boil up a quart of water and slowly pour it through the barrel from the chamber and out the muzzle using a funnel. The barrel will get too hot to hold, but if you think you might spill boiling water on the stock then take it off of the stock first and wear gloves or mount in a soft jawed vise of some sort. Water goes against what seems logical but boiling water will quickly soften up imbedded cosmoline and powder residue and flush out a lot of it. Then when you follow up with Hoppes #9 or whatever solvent you have it'll come much cleaner. Also running a 20 ga shotgun brush with solvent, mounted in a low speed drill will get the chamber ready for the range. If you have not experienced sticky bolt syndrome after only shooting a few rounds you haven't lived! Ha You can imagine a ruined shooting trip when you fully expected to shoot a couple hundred rounds. You might already know all this stuff because it is such a common topic around here. You might have noticed I have the gift of gab, or so my wife tells me. :-P
But hey Jeremy let me personally welcome you to the forum.
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

You also will need to clean other parts - especially inside the bolt. Your manual shows how to disassemble it.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You should read this also. This is on the "Information Pages" and is how I first started.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html

dolk
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

thanks guys.. I'll take it back apart and try that tomorrow.

thank you all very much for all the help.

jeremy
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

What they said :pointup: Clean and check the head space before shooting please.Good pics. A+ Good luck, JGC
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Also, make sure the extractor slot is clean, If the extractor is not able to move, it will not snap over the rim of the cartridge. Worst case scenario is that you will need to replace the extractor, or file the bevel on the one you have. Not really a big deal. To test if it is the extractor, clip a shell onto the bolt face, and see if it will chamber. If not, the problem is not the bolt. If it will, then the extractor needs some attention.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

millman wrote:Also, make sure the extractor slot is clean, If the extractor is not able to move, it will not snap over the rim of the cartridge. Worst case scenario is that you will need to replace the extractor, or file the bevel on the one you have. Not really a big deal. To test if it is the extractor, clip a shell onto the bolt face, and see if it will chamber. If not, the problem is not the bolt. If it will, then the extractor needs some attention.
you were right. Its very hard to clip a sheel onto the bolt face, but once its on it will slip in the chamber like butter.. Here is a photo of the extractor.. looks like it might be bent. doesn't seam to move at all. now what..

Celt

Post by Celt »

Unbend it our you can order one. None of the parts on the bolt are expressive. I personally would try to get the bend out.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Excellent diagnosis millman. That was a good suggestion.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

How about a picture of the extractor face? With it bent like that i am thinking it has a burr on it. That would make it hard to close on a shell. If the burr is not too bad you can polish it out. If it is too deep then you should replace it. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I am not saying this just to make a sale, but if you do change the bolt head you REALLY need to get the headspace checked before you fire that weapon. Whether you buy from me or have a smith check it don't take chances!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Can you show a straight on pic of the bolt face. I am guessing that the angle on the extractor is wrong, or the slot is so full of gunk that it can't move.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

millman wrote:Can you show a straight on pic of the bolt face. I am guessing that the angle on the extractor is wrong, or the slot is so full of gunk that it can't move.
look normal? obviously we know something isn't right. I'm going to go buy a funnel so I can get some hot ater down the barrell and I"m going to clean the bolt up more.

By bonnoughj at 2012-07-06

By bonnoughj at 2012-07-06
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

websterz wrote:I am not saying this just to make a sale, but if you do change the bolt head you REALLY need to get the headspace checked before you fire that weapon. Whether you buy from me or have a smith check it don't take chances!
Thanks.. I know I need one and yours look the best. Not sure what I'm going to do. going to try cleaning it more and then might take it to a gun smith to make the other repairs. Not sure I want to start pounding out parts.. little nervous about that.\

jb