Dual recoil bolt?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jackson

Dual recoil bolt?

Post by Jackson »

How rare is this? I've only ever seen one rifle with a second recoil crossbolt and it's one i own.

We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
redspoon

Re: Dual recoil bolt?

Post by redspoon »

Jackson, I think almost all laminates have extra cross bolt. If that is indeed a lammy?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Not rare at all.
You see them more on Laminated stocks, but also no M38 hardwood stocks. I've seen them on M91/30'salso, but that is a little rarer.

Not really a "recoil bolt" as it does not come in contact with the receiver like the recoil bolt does. Usually slotted head on one side and the insert on the other, but sometime the insert on both sides.

Dolk
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

redspoon wrote:Jackson, I think almost all laminates have extra cross bolt. If that is indeed a lammy?
it's not laminated, the finish is worn off.
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

dolk wrote:Not rare at all.
is there a reason for it, does it mean anything?

none of the model reference pics on 7.62x54r.net have the second bolt.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have seen a few 91/30s with them here. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I could be wrong but the grain of the wood sure looks like a laminate.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It doesn't look like a laminate to me. It looks a lot like my '43 but with a little more grain. I don't know if it is uncommon on a hardwood, but don't think I personally have seen them, but it looks great.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:I could be wrong but the grain of the wood sure looks like a laminate.
did they slather the laminates in red shellac? because before the solvent got spilled all over the stock (long story) it was that deep red that most mosins are.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They definately shellaced the crap out of the laminate i have. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Every possible color combo is possible.

Go take a look at this page I made years ago. Look at all the variation in colors on carbines.
Also take a look at the "extra cross bolt" on many of them. Nothing is rare or unusual about the extra cross bolt.
http://thedolk.com/junk/Carbine_colors/

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Here is a Laminated rifle I have with an extra cross bolt.

I have 2 hardwood and one laminate with an extra cross bolt. I have many without...why the cross bolt??? No one knows.

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The cross bolt you have is fairly common and seen often on refurbs. Just remember there are no rules on what can be seen on a refurb and you will be able to assimilate anything you see there! I have actually been so unsure whether I was looking at a laminated stock at times I have removed the butt plate to make sure. It is a dead sure way to tell! Bill :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, I have it on a dozen rifles both carbines, regular 91/30's and laminates, all refurbs.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Oramaac4572

Post by Oramaac4572 »

:vconfused: :vconfused: I may sound like an amateur here, cuz I am, but if the laminate stocks are not hardwood, what are they made out of? :oops:
Я люблю запах cosmoline утром
Мой Мосина-Нагана арсенал
1932 Tula Hex 91/30
1933 Izhevsk Hex 91/30
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Laminates are like many pieces of plywood glued together and then formed into stocks. The striking figure is when it goes through the layers of the plywood. The crossbolt on a lammy is to stop it from splitting the layers and other strengthening. :D
Oramaac4572

Post by Oramaac4572 »

again.. Thanks des !!
Я люблю запах cosmoline утром
Мой Мосина-Нагана арсенал
1932 Tula Hex 91/30
1933 Izhevsk Hex 91/30