Recoil Pads

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
billybob123

Recoil Pads

Post by billybob123 »

I have a recoil pad question. Now before any of you young whippersnappers go off on me. I'm old enough to be most of you kids grampaw. Back in my day as a youth I used to hunt ducks quite a bit and I shot a 3" magnum pump gun with 1 7/8 ounce of lead shot. If you want recoil shoot a box of those in about 2 hours then let's talk. In case you don't know, there aren't many guns with more recoil than a 3" magnum pump with 1 7/8 oz of lead shot. It exceeds the recoil from many elephant guns.

Now to my question. What recoil pad have you tried that takes the sting out of the MN. I don't mind the push, I do mind the sting when I am target shooting. So I am looking for something to take the sting out. I am working on making a homemade one and will test it out tomorrow. I would prefer something that is a slip on so that I can keep the integrity of the authenticity of my Russian M38 flame thrower. In my gun cabinet I have a slip on LimbSaver which I use for my 3 1/2 magnum on duck and goose hunts, and I also have some el-cheapo slip on that has the criss-cross pattern that compresses. I've heard of gel types but have never seen one before. Let me know what has worked best for you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Recoil Pads

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never used one, a few years back I was shooting 100-120 rounds a day in the Mosins and other rifles, only my Mossberg 500 has a recoil pad and it came that way from Mossberg. The gel pads must be made similar to the shoe inserts that are around.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Oramaac4572

Post by Oramaac4572 »

Amazon has one made for the MN...

Я люблю запах cosmoline утром
Мой Мосина-Нагана арсенал
1932 Tula Hex 91/30
1933 Izhevsk Hex 91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I know some of the guys use a generic slip on pad, I think they are one size fits all.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

billybob, I got two of the slip on gel pads from Amazon, for my Pole and Russian M44's. Pads work great and give a little more extension also. :2cents:
Welcome to The Forum :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I bought a M44 with a slip on one on it. It fit really nice but was dirt ugly. I imediatly took it off before ever using. I think it was a limbsaver not sure. It came off pretty easy so i think it would be easy enough to move around between guns if needed. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Caution with the gel pad ones, friend of mine fitted it to his pride and joy, used it twice the gel pouch split and stained a beauitful tiger stripe stock. Got a small amount of money as compensation..

The slip on I use (can't remember the name) leather sleeve with a soft neoprene insert no damage to the wood, remove when finished. fits all my milsurps.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have used a Butler Creek. It looks like the Limb Saver and it works fine. If you leave it on the shellac tends to stick to it after awhile, but it comes on and off easily. I'd be more interested in seeing how your homemade pad works for you. I bet you miss those days of duck hunting you speak of. It isn't what it used to be, when a good call could bring in what seemed like hundreds of ducks.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:I have used a Butler Creek. It looks like the Limb Saver and it works fine. If you leave it on the shellac tends to stick to it after awhile, but it comes on and off easily. I'd be more interested in seeing how your homemade pad works for you. I bet you miss those days of duck hunting you speak of. It isn't what it used to be, when a good call could bring in what seemed like hundreds of ducks.

I didn't know that Butler Creek made one like the Limbsaver Russell. Fred_G has a slip on Limbsaver on his M91/30 and he loves it. The first time we shot he didn't have it and after a few hours he was bruised to hell and gave up shooting the Mosin. Then he got one and the next time we shot he didn't have any brusing. This is what they look like but this is from the Limbsaver site and they are high. https://www.limbsaver.com/store/home.php?cat=268 I'll look around later when I come back in from working outside and see if I can find some to list on gun-deals. If not I'll add Limbsaver as a vendor a list those in the Mosin Stock section.

On a side note billybob123 I know exactly what you mean. As you get older you can't handle the recoil like you did as a youngster. I told these guys this story. I just rebuild a double barrel Stevens Savage model 311 and took it out to shoot. I'd fired both barrels before but that was about 25 or 30 years ago and it was with two 3" Mag. 00 Buck shells. Yeah it was stupid but I was young. Knocked me off the chair I was sitting on and bruised the hell out of my shoulder. Well this time I shot this gun a few times with each barrel to test it out and then let 'er rip with both barrels this time but using only low brass #8 target loads. WOW! it still almost took the gun out of my hands and just about broke my fingers. My curiousity is satisfied and I will never do that again. I'm only 50 too and am no lightweight.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Sat May 05, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I have an M44 that left a nice blue/green/purple mark, so I bought a Pachmayr Decelerator Slip On (S) that fits good and takes the sting out. Fits the 91/30's as well. I bought mine from Cabelas if that helps. Don't recall the price.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I have the bolt on one that replaces the steel butt plate. Took a little bit of sanding on the inside curve of it to get it to fit right but not a big problem. It worked ok as it was, the holes don't go all the way through, but it worked much better for me after drilling them out, no blue shoulder after 50 rounds on these old bones, ain't got the padding like I did as a young pup.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I'm pretty sure they have them at walmart. The slip on kind anyway. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MessEleven

Post by MessEleven »

I use this one. Makes the felt recoil insignificant, and the neoprene cover is a perfect size for the Mosin. Any time you feel like getting a bruise or two, just slip it off! :wink:

I hope that when I die, people say about me, 'Boy, that guy sure owed me a lot of money.'
- Jack Handey
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

I used a bolt on generic that I purchased for pocket lint on ebay....it works great and can't feel a thing! Looks halfway decent in black or brown and can be changed back to original with two screws.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
http://www.RifleGuru.com How To Videos
1937 Izhevsk M91/30 Round
1939 Tula M91/30 Ex Sniper
popgun

Post by popgun »

do not tell me how old you are! i used one on my 91/3o for my wife and ended up in the outhouse. just uses one that fits the butt and have fun. pogun :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pop: :pointup: :popgun: :popgun:
popgun

Post by popgun »

OH it is not pogn it is POPGUN have fun. just shoot it and have a black and blue mark. we all did!! popgun :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pointup:
TheZombieKilla

Post by TheZombieKilla »

Limbsaver slip-on 40$ Winchester has one made by limbsaver( it is the exact same thing stamped limb saver and everything) placed in a winchester package 20$ at walmart. I recommend highly.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Here's a bunch listed. No limbsavers in the list but the have Pachmayr, Butler Creek and some others. http://all-in-general.com/index.php?cPa ... 6ed2c1f2f2
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There was a guy who used to tape some form of rubber pad to the buttstock, one day he fired the rifle and the tape came loose sticking the pad to his shirt. We had a good laugh at his expence, the cheap bastard was trying to get out of paying for a slip on pad, and I think it was five bucks at the time :)
Theodore Roosevelt
popgun

Post by popgun »

OK guys he got on my bad side !!!. I DO NOT like called a WIPPERSNAPPER by anyone. recoil pads are needed (as needed} ask my wife. jyd you are right. who is this person? not sorry this time. do not call US wippersnapper if you do not no where we came from!!!!!!!!!!!!!! popgun no pop for you!!