Barrel damage quesion

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Greasemonkey

Barrel damage quesion

Post by Greasemonkey »

I was curious if this barrel would be safe to fire, seems to be shrapnel damage. This is from the '39 Finn capture, the handguard "looked" Finnish based on the finish. So I can't confirm or deny that it was replaced by the Finn's or importer to cover the damage. One side of me doubts the safety, other side of me figured it's far enough from the chamber to be in a lot lower pressure area, and shoot it. It is pretty deep compared to most scratches and gouges, even rust pitting I've seen. If it's not safe, I'll just pull the firing pin and put one with a broke tip in it to prevent firing by anyone.

Just figured I'd get a second opinion or three, for safety sake :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
tjtM38

Re: Barrel damage quesion

Post by tjtM38 »

I guess there are times when a reputable gunsmith is worth his salt. I would say take to one and verify safe or not.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

The ones around here won't or don't want to make a judgement, they are basically deemed as a junk Russian rifle. If it's not black, plastic or a Remchesterby, forget about getting an answer :twisted: Or they will gladly consider drilling and tapping one, that's about their limit.
Been down that path in the past.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I am obviously not a gun smith, but it appears to me that the damage isn't enough to be of concern. Having said that, I like you. I want you to stick around. Plus, I know that you have a boat load more guns besides this one! I think she is an amazing piece and should be kept, cherished and displayed. But until you run out of other firearms to shoot, I'd reserve this one as a "last resort".

There is always a possibility of stress fractures that you can't see. Also, there may be some slight protrustion inside the bore...I doubt either is the case, but both are possible. Personally, I would love to own this rifle :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think there was someone on here that had a gun scope, not sure if it would help but it couldn't hurt. Maybe a tire test and then another scope after that.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I didn't feel any unusual tight spots when cleaning with a tight fitting patch(I know, not a true reliable test), it was more just a curiosity question. I'm by no means in no rush to fire it at the moment.

As for the history aspect, it was shocking to first see, really added to the wonder of what the poor fellow carrying it experienced. Defiantly something I've never seen on one.
knssrtrd

Post by knssrtrd »

I would play it safe and hang her up, you are worth more to folks than a old rifle. I bought a well used M39 once with a bent barrel and questionable marks that was restocked. That gun took a major hit, was off to the scrap bin with it. I don't fiddle with dangerious things if there is a doubt don't do it.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It is up to you, but it looks cosmetic to me.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If it's got the SA on it then the Finn armorer gave it the once over before it was passed into Finn service. My bet is that it's been shot a lot just the way it is, the damage don't look that bad.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:It is up to you, but it looks cosmetic to me.

Ditto.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'd slug the barrel and as long as it passes, shoot it. Probably wouldn't shoot it every day, but as an occasional shooter I'd say it'd be fine. If that concerned about it drop down to the 46 grain "plinker" rounds.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The only thing I would worry about there is the barrel could be restricted by the damage and that would be a real problem. I have rifles with rust and corrosion damage that deep and fire them with no worry. The difference is that damage has compressed the area it hit and could cause a restriction to the barrel or a fault in the metal close to the damage. I have never said this before but I think that one would be a bystander when I went to the range for safety purposes. Bill
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I'd sell it to Jumperwire, Then you know it will never be shot :biggrin:
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

As mogunner said, slugging the barrel would put to rest any doubt about a restriction in the barrel. Also, as far as the depth of those dings, the rear sight mount holes on a Mosin go deeper into the metal than those dings do. If you're worried about cracks, take it to a machine shop and have it magnafluxed.
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I think that all of you crooks are trying to get the owner of this rifle killed.......

The rifle is totally destroyed. Send it to me, and I will dispose of it properly.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Borrowed the Magna-flux setup from work, I will check it for cracks, then slug the bore, just to be sure.

Besides, I would feel absolutely horrible if I sent it to someone and it possibly hurt them, I mean seriously, that person could have a family, I'm making the ultimate sacrifice, I'll hang on to it for everyones safety. :lol: :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You could always send it to a worthy charity, I have a list of worthy charities that would accept it, but since I am the president of all of them it's best to just send it to me and I will see to it :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Resurection night at the forum!!!!!!!!!!! Greasemonkey, I have to say I am on board with zeebill in reguards to this one. The shrapnel damage is a huge cool factor to gun nuts like all of us on the forum and definately a score! :thumbsup: But I would not chance shooting it considering there are many more in your arsenal that are perfectly safe.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Greasemonkey wrote:The ones around here won't or don't want to make a judgement, they are basically deemed as a junk Russian rifle. If it's not black, plastic or a Remchesterby, forget about getting an answer :twisted: Or they will gladly consider drilling and tapping one, that's about their limit.
Been down that path in the past.
Remchesterby, i like that word :chuckles:
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I found no cracks in it, but like you said, I'll keep it for the coolness factor. Seeing it, really puts history into prospective, what the poor fella carrying it must have went through.

I have many other toys to play with, so having a few that don't get used is acceptable to me. :thumbsup: