showcase submission / 36 Tula hex reciever 91/30 [SA]

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

showcase submission / 36 Tula hex reciever 91/30 [SA]

Post by Miller Tyme »

Sometimes rifle just find you, this is one of those instances. I decided about a month ago to start collecting 1936 Mosin Nagants due to the different "flavors" of 1936 91/30's , SCW, [SA], Trials rifles, & Tula's transition from hex to round recievers, so I was pleasantly suprised when the owner of this walked into my LGS wanting to sell it. My LGS knows I collect these "fugly Russian rifles" and he just steared him to me and a few Grants latter it was mine.

It's a 1936 Tula hex reciever [SA] 91/30, Finn matching, in an Izhevsk stock that the Finn's refinished with there infamous pine tar finish. It is also the 3rd Finn'ed MN I have bought that had a Swedish Mauser cleaning rod in it.

It will go great along side my 36 Tula Round reciever [SA] 91/30.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
finloq

Re: showcase submission / 36 Tula hex reciever 91/30 [SA]

Post by finloq »

I love the Finn'ed 91/30's that are still in Russian stocks. It gives you a good idea of how these guys looked in their original form.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

Now there is an interesting question that comes to mind. How much fitting did it take to convert a stock that was cut for a round receiver to fit a hex receiver/visa versa? I would imagine that there was no going back.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very cool. Love the matched set :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
I believe the stocks will take both as long as they both are either stepped or non stepped. A stepped receiver wont go into a non stepped unless you do a little cutting (I think). :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

finloq wrote:Now there is an interesting question that comes to mind. How much fitting did it take to convert a stock that was cut for a round receiver to fit a hex receiver/visa versa? I would imagine that there was no going back.

I believe a stock cut to fit a hex reciever will also fit a round, but not vis-versa.

Guess I need to break these 2 down and find out. :roll:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
finloq

Post by finloq »

Miller Tyme wrote:
finloq wrote:Now there is an interesting question that comes to mind. How much fitting did it take to convert a stock that was cut for a round receiver to fit a hex receiver/visa versa? I would imagine that there was no going back.

I believe a stock cut to fit a hex reciever will also fit a round, but not vis-versa.

Guess I need to break these 2 down and find out. :roll:
Honestly, I have never tried. I have not had to replace any stocks yet (on Mosins).
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I was under the impression that they could go either way. Now we are gonna need your input for sure. My SA Finned 38 Izhevsk in the pine tar stock would be a nice fit right in there by your two, cosmetically speaking that is. And it also has the same cleaning rod. But Swedish Mauser? Interesting. Where did you find that info? I have seen people call these M39 cleaning rods, but they are not. They are not the same length. They appear to have a M39 elongated slot head that appears to be soldered on. So that is Swedish and Finnish?
Beautiful rifle by the way.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

desdem12 wrote:Very cool. Love the matched set :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
I believe the stocks will take both as long as they both are either stepped or non stepped. A stepped receiver wont go into a non stepped unless you do a little cutting (I think). :D
:thumbsup: :pointup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Well by the looks of things we have a consensus. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

NOW ON THE SHOWCASE! :pointleft:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Indeed a prize to be showen in the show case. very nice. Have my vote. :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Nice Finn capture!

A non-stepped receiver won't fit into a stock cut for a stepped one without a small amount of trimming. As far as the other way, a stepped tang receiver drops into a later stock but there is a small gap at the steps. I once had a refurb 91/30 with the Soviet 'pool cue' splice. The rifle was a '42 IIRC. The rear half of the stock had screwed in escutcheons and a gap at the receiver steps. The front half had the late style press-in escutcheons. I also had a hex Tula M44 at one point that had the gap at the steps from a standard later M44 stock being used.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.