1936 Tula/Simonov/SCW

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cj1964

1936 Tula/Simonov/SCW

Post by cj1964 »

In 1936 Sergei Simonov began working on improvements to the basic 91/30 design. There were several minor changes that were tried, but none of them seem to have made it to production. Here's one of the "trials rifles".
All numbers match and appear to be original (same font).
sIMG_5145-Rec.JPG
sIMG_5216-NoBolt.JPG
There are no import marks, but there is a "USSR" stamp on the rear sight. This is consistent with other Spanish Civil War rifles, but I don't really know if there is any SCW connection! It's very likely, but the "USSR" stamp is double struck - poorly. I'm open to other opinions.
sIMG_5227-USSR.JPG
One of the main differences on these trials rifles is the front sight and bayonet attachment.
sIMG_5231-CleanR.JPG
The bayonet lug is a metal sleeve pinned to the front of the stock.
sIMG_5123-BCap.JPG
sIMG_5124-BCap.JPG
sIMG_5129-BCap.JPG
There is another metal sleeve that acts as a retaining band that slides over the bayonet lug and barrel. There is a gap in this sleeve which allows it to pass around the bayonet lug as seen in the photo. The other barrel bands are unique to these trials rifles. They are spring steel with a gap underneath that just fits over the bayonet lug grooves.
sIMG_5180-Band3.JPG
sIMG_5178-Band2.JPG
sIMG_5172-Band1.JPG
There are at least three different front sights used on these trials rifles. The one I have is pretty cool looking, but it's much larger than any of the barrel bands/sleeves. Unless you remove the front sight, you are stuck with the bands rattling around on the barrel while you clean it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cj1964

Re: 1936 Tula/Simonov/SCW

Post by cj1964 »

sIMG_5201-FSight4.JPG
sIMG_5189-FSight1.JPG
sIMG_5191-FSight3.JPG
When I first removed the handguard, I noticed a spiral design on the barrel. It might be evidence of an oil-cloth wrapped barrel.
Ref: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12086
Whatever the markings were from, I decided to take a photo of them before I cleaned the barrel!!
sIMG_5105-Wrap.JPG
Many trials rifles are seen with painted black stocks. There is black paint under the handguard and in the finger grooves on the stock of my rifle.
sIMG_5108-paint.JPG
Somewhere along the way, my stock was sanded down and given a shellac. The color is not quite as red as what is seen on refurb rifles, but it appears very consistent with Soviet shellac. There are no "refurb" marks on the stock and I can only speculate as to why it is like this. Perhaps it was part of the trials...? Luckily, whoever sanded it did not completely wipe out the trials code on the buttstock!
sIMG_5212-StockNos.JPG
There are quite a few different proof marks under the barrel, but most all of them are lightly struck or incomplete. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary in that...
sIMG_5133-UBar1.JPG
sIMG_5134-UBar2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That is a really cool rifle. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

That's a pretty rare score. :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:Drool1: nice rifle
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Wonderful rifle! That's a Holy Grail for my SCW collection. How did you come across this rifle?

The "USSR" mark is indeed constant with a 1950's/60's SCW imported M91/30. Indeed it seems that most, if not all, the Simonov Trial rifles in the US came from these imports from Spain. I don't know how many have the import mark as your rifle does, but it verifies that it did come from Spain.

Your rifle is in excellent condition. I don't know if I've seen that example of a front sight on one before, but to be fair I haven't seen many. It looks like it copies a version of the Czech VZ rifles. I have a Czech made M30 Persian Musketoon that has a sight like that. They certainly used a number of different types on these trial rifles. I'm also glad it still has the trial markings on the butt stock. Again, I haven't come across any information on the exact meanings of the markings, but they are found on many examples.

In any case thanks for sharing!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

The two screws that hold the trigger/magazine to the receiver pass through metal spacer sleeves. These sleeves are fluted and fit in such a way that they isolate the action from the stock! I'm not sure if they work better than shims, but it appears the end goal is the same.
sIMG_5118-pillar1b.JPG
sIMG_5115-pillar2a.JPG
sIMG_5113-pillar1a.JPG
As you can see, the front spacer sleeve is a sort of cradle for the receiver lug. The receiver lug is actually milled down in size to fit into this cradle! There are a few stamps next to the milling of the lug.
sIMG_5139-Lug1.JPG
sIMG_5159-Lug2.JPG
That's about it - I think I've covered most of the unique features. The only picture left that I forgot to post is the tang date. Here it is:
sIMG_5101-Tang.JPG
Enjoy and be educated. :)
yiping

Post by yiping »

Nice rifle :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I was looking forward to the photos, and WOW! That's a holy grail rifle for sure. I think it's a no-brainer for the showcase. Beautiful.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Wow, that is just plain cool! I've never seen one of those before. Thanks for the great pics & for sharing with us! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: 8-) :vcool: 8-) :vcool: :thumbsup:
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Gosh Darn it, yet another Mosin I have to keep an eye out for..lol

Honestly, wow... Just wow!! For it to have survived intact for all these years is amazing !! What a great score !! Where did you find it??
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Wow excellent find, good eye. :Drool1: :vcool:
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

You Done, Very GOOD. :attn:

Excellent pictures :thumbsup:

Thank you for your efforts, and a Great purchase :Drool1:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I have I thing to add........................ :pointdown:

SHOWCASE !
:thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Miller Tyme wrote:I have I thing to add........................ :pointdown:

SHOWCASE !
+1
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

millman wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:I have I thing to add........................ :pointdown:

SHOWCASE !
+1
:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: +2
Jim

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

HOLY CRAP What a score. SWEEEEEEEET :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Fantastic find!
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Wow. Very cool. Good to see something like this so if someone else ever finds one the know it isn't bubba work.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Can you imagine something like that coming out of a crate of refurbs? Holy cow. I love it. Where did you say you found it?