1956 type 53 showcase consideration

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Celt

1956 type 53 showcase consideration

Post by Celt »

The t53 is a licensed copy of the Russian m44made by the Peoples Republic of China. Production began in 1953. It is chambered in the hard hitting 7.62x54r Contrary to popular belief, fit and finish are very good. Early 53 prod are on the barrel shank and include Chinese characters and a 26 or 296 with a "shi" character following the serial number. The characters translate to-53,year, type. The 26 and 296 denote State factory at Chongqing. Unlike the Russians, the Chinese did not go stamp happy on the barrel shanks, but were know to to stamp the stocks instead. The stocks were made of an indigenous woodcalled"chu". Very well suited for humid climate. They were finished with heavy varnish or shallac. Arsenal markings. 1953 to 1955 the 296 stamp was used and both the year and month were also stamped on the barrel shank. 1953 serial prefix 'A' and the"shi" which denotes test or sample. 1954 the shi was dropped and the serial numbers restated at 1,000,000 1955 they started stamping 26 and the month stamping was dropped. Serial number started at 3,000,000. 1956 the serial number starts at 4,000,000 There is no known production from 1957 to 1959. In 1960 there were no Chinese characters andthe 26 was put into a triangle. The serial numbers began with Roman alphabet letter and were followed by four digits. They also moved the butt plate serial number to the butt stock. Total estimated production was 963,000

This is my example of the Chinese type 53 also called a t53 or m53. It is dated 1956. It is an all numbers matching, non refurbished carbine.
   It looks like it saw a long life as an issued weapon in some harsh conditions. The crown and bore are in good condition. The stock has several unusual carvings that look to have been done by at least two different soldiers. Upon disassembly,I found what looked like red sand and grease that had turned into a clay like mud. There are a dozen spots where there was active rust or pitting, but all were small. The action is butter smooth and it passed the no go gauge.
It came with no sling or cleaning rod. It's wearing a repro sling for the photos. I see that matching number t53 carbines are becoming more common but because of the matching numbers non refurbished condition and the unusual carvings, I would like to submit this weapon for show case consideration,
Thanks for looking!
Jeremy

Last edited by Celt on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
SA1911a1

Re: 1956 type 53

Post by SA1911a1 »

The serial information was interesting, and new to me. Thanks for posting that. I like the carvings as well!

I say go for the showcase!
Last edited by SA1911a1 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Re: 1956 type 53

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet interesting rifle. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Re: 1956 type 53 showcase consideration

Post by ponycarman »

Great pics of a great looking rifle. You definately have my vote :)
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Hey Celt

Very nice, Id vote for you !! This is the only major mark i can find on my T53, but i bet ya Mo Sin Lee can out shoot ya !!!!!

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very, Very Nice!
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Looks like you found a keeper! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Celt

Post by Celt »

It was worth the wait. I knew it had a star on it. I didn't know about the other markings.

:thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Now on the Showcase. :vcool:

Showcase Submission
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Looks great Jeremy. You may want to mention the Balkans connection. That's one important factor that sets these apart from the average T-53. It's most likely where the carvings were done too.

Edit: Opps, I had this typed up but had to go chase the chickens back up out of the field and when I hit send it was already in the showcase. Should have sent it before. :roll:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I love the stock carvings, very cool. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Celt

Post by Celt »

Just got back from my sons fist concert (kindergarten).
Thanks for the kind words. Weldon...i looked all over for some trivia connecting the 53 to the Balkins but info on these is limited. I have some more info but tried to keep it short. Thanks Ron, this is a month for firsts, first mail orders, first c&r app, first showcase! Excellent! I forgot the bore shot...oh well.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Bore shots, can't wait to take her for a walk!

Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

One more...

Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

I can only find one 21 stamp on this 53? There is a 2 on the bolt head...interesting. No stamps on the stock at all..
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's got carvings to make up for it :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

Sweet. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: