1955 Romanian stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fintowin

1955 Romanian stock

Post by fintowin »

I picked up this Romanian m44 and was wondering if anyone has seen on with a stock like this before. It looks like a different kind of wood than I usually see on a Romanian. I don't think it is sanded or anything because the grain is quite prominent. It just seems like a new stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
fintowin

Re: 1955 Romanian stock

Post by fintowin »

couple more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

No doubt it's a Romanian stock, but it is 'different'.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is incredible. Where did you find it? I think someone forgot to take it out of storage and use it!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

That's a real beauty and a real Romanian stock. You just never know what you are going to find. This is probably what they looked like out of the factory. I've got two that are very close to this. Is it matching? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

That stock REALLY resembles a 91/30 stock I saw last spring that was attributed to Albania. How is the inletting? It was fairly crude on the 91/30.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Maybe that was my Albanian you saw. Real easy to tell. Can you tell which one is the Albanian stock? Two things about these Albanian stocks - extreme flat top of butt stock and "Finn" centered stock bolts. Also, the inletting is very rough on these stocks. If this stock didn't have Romanian stampings on it I would have guessed Russian. So, perhaps it is a Russian stock sold/given to Romanians and assembled in Romania. I would like to see another picture of the top of the butt stock a little further away. Albanians did build carbine stocks as well.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Great info on Albanian M-44's - http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareAlbIzh.htm
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

That's the one! :thumbsup:
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

qz2026 wrote:That's a real beauty and a real Romanian stock. You just never know what you are going to find. This is probably what they looked like out of the factory. I've got two that are very close to this. Is it matching? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes, all the numbers match. I got this from a guy who has a number of these for sale. I got the m38 I posted last week from him also. He has an all matching Hungarian in fair condition. He has a Polish m44 non matching and another 1943 m38 in an unissued condition blonde m44 stock. All for good prices also. I got this Romy for 275.00.
-George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

If I have time tomorrow I will take it out of the stock and take some better pics.
-George Washington
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

fintowin wrote:
qz2026 wrote:That's a real beauty and a real Romanian stock. You just never know what you are going to find. This is probably what they looked like out of the factory. I've got two that are very close to this. Is it matching? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes, all the numbers match. I got this from a guy who has a number of these for sale. I got the m38 I posted last week from him also. He has an all matching Hungarian in fair condition. He has a Polish m44 non matching and another 1943 m38 in an unissued condition blonde m44 stock. All for good prices also. I got this Romy for 275.00.
This fellow's name wouldn't be Gerry would it? :roll:

This is a real bonus when you can acquire these EBLOC carbines in such nice condition and numbers matching. When you see them, expect to pay a little premium but BUY them. The price on the Romy seems appropriate/competitive considering what you got. Story is still out on the stock though. Zee plot is thickening... Curious minds want to know :D

Hummm, I wonder what "fair condition" means on the Hungy? I just love the wood on the Hungarians regardless of condition. :vcool:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Has the diamond C stamp & the 2 stamp as well commonly seen on Soviet Refurbs. It's no secret that Romania was the dumping grounds for leftover & spare parts from the Soviet Union & even Poland & Hungary. This stock looks to be Surplus Soviet that was stamped & issued in Romania. It also looks to have possibly been refinished at some point? Hard to tell....
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yes, the wood grain definitely appears to be Russian birch definitely not what the Albanian's used which I haven't been able to ID quite yet...
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Here are some more pics. I don't have time to take it apart. The guys name is not Gerry.
BTW, the Hun has a little pitting in the bore, but not terrible. Both the Hun and the Pole have what looks like elm stocks. Hun matches, Pole doesn't. Pole metal looks perfect, bore nice, stock quite bad but interesting.
-George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Rongo wrote:Has the diamond C stamp & the 2 stamp as well commonly seen on Soviet Refurbs. It's no secret that Romania was the dumping grounds for leftover & spare parts from the Soviet Union & even Poland & Hungary. This stock looks to be Surplus Soviet that was stamped & issued in Romania. It also looks to have possibly been refinished at some point? Hard to tell....
I was wondering myself if it had been refinished but the finger grooves are still very sharp as are all the corners. the wood is proud over the metal everywhere. The stamps are crisp and deep. If Bubba sanded it would be quite smooth, but the grain is raised.

I shot it yesterday and it does about 1" at 50yds. Shoots about 8 inches to the right, though.
-George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I forgot to upload the pics on my "here are more pics" post. :D Here are more pics for real.
-George Washington