1941 Tula/Izhevsk 91/30 refurb

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
racerguy00

1941 Tula/Izhevsk 91/30 refurb

Post by racerguy00 »

Discussion Section

This highly unusual 91/30 refurb was found sitting on the rack of my local box store during a sale for well under $100 . I usually pop in to see what they have and this one jumped right out at me even though it had been passed over many times by other buyers. It was one of the 'uglier' of the lot, but not to me.

The barrel shank is stamped with the Tula star and 1941 date, this is a very uncommon year for a Tula 91/30. Production of 91/30s had mostly ceased at the Tula arsenal, and in the latter half of the year the German invading army was on the very doorstep of the plant. Many of the weapons produced at that time went out the door and directly to the front lines a short distance away and attrition was high.

There are three main clues on this rifle that lend credence to the belief that although the rifle barrel was produced at Tula, the final production and assembly was actually completed at the Izhevsk arsenal. Perhaps leftover rifle barrels from the Tula 91/30 production run were shipped to Izhevsk even before the outbreak of hostilities with Germany in the latter half of '41.

First, a very unusual feature of this rifle is that the barrel shank also sports the Izhevsk arsenal triangle stamp. The use of recycled receivers is fairly common and leads to many rifles having multiple arsenal stamps on the barrel and receiver of the same rifle, but both arsenal stamps on the same barrel shank is something not seen often. In fact, at the time of purchase, this particular rifle was and may be still, only the second documented 1941 Tula 91/30 with the Izhevsk stamp on the same barrel shank.

Second, the date of 1941 does not appear to have been entirely stamped at the same time. The '194' is struck normally, and the depth matches the Tula star stamp. However, the second '1' in 1941 is struck much deeper and appears to have been added later. This fits with the rifle barrel being produced and partially dated at Tula and the rifle being completed and dated at Izhevsk.

Third, the receiver is an undated roughly machined Izhevsk highwall receiver. This is typical of early war receivers that were produced as quickly as possible to get the rifles out the door to help stem the tide of the German advance when the fate of the USSR was in doubt.

The rifle is a typical Ukranian import 91/30 in all other respects. It has the typical mix of arsenal markings on the assorted parts, and resides in a post-war style stock, and the serial numbers are arsenal force-matched. The bayonet's serial number also matches the rifle. The bolt body and cocking knob show staining and patina, and the shellac on the stock is very flaky. These two details led to this rifle being passed over by many others before I was able to purchase it.

All in all, this rifle is a highly sought after year and arsenal combination, and along with it's other traits makes it probably the most unique refurb that I will ever find on the rack in my local store. Thanks, for checking it out.

Discussion Section
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.