1956 (matching #'s) Type 53

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
Celt

1956 (matching #'s) Type 53

Post by Celt »

The t53 is a licensed copy of the Russian m44made by the Peoples Republic of China. Production began in 1953. It is chambered in the hard hitting 7.62x54r Contrary to popular belief, fit and finish are very good. Early 53 prod are on the barrel shank and include Chinese characters and a 26 or 296 with a "shi" character following the serial number. The characters translate to-53,year, type. The 26 and 296 denote State factory at Chongqing. Unlike the Russians, the Chinese did not go stamp happy on the barrel shanks, but were know to to stamp the stocks instead. The stocks were made of an indigenous wood called"chu". Very well suited for humid climate. They were finished with heavy varnish or shellac. Arsenal markings. 1953 to 1955 the 296 stamp was used and both the year and month were also stamped on the barrel shank. 1953 serial prefix 'A' and the"shi" which denotes test or sample. 1954 the shi was dropped and the serial numbers restated at 1,000,000 1955 they started stamping 26 and the month stamping was dropped. Serial number started at 3,000,000. 1956 the serial number starts at 4,000,000 There is no known production from 1957 to 1959. In 1960 there were no Chinese characters and the 26 was put into a triangle. The serial numbers began with Roman alphabet letter and were followed by four digits. They also moved the butt plate serial number to the butt stock. Total estimated production was 963,000
This is my example of the Chinese type 53 also called a t53 or m53. It is dated 1956. It is an all numbers matching, non refurbished carbine.
   It looks like it saw a long life as an issued weapon in some harsh conditions. The crown and bore are in good condition. The stock has several unusual carvings that look to have been done by at least two different soldiers. Upon disassembly,I found what looked like red sand and grease that had turned into a clay like mud. There are a dozen spots where there was active rust or pitting, but all were small. The action is butter smooth and it passed the no go gauge.
It came with no sling or cleaning rod. It's wearing a repro sling for the photos. I see that matching number t53 carbines are becoming more common but because of the matching numbers non refurbished condition and the unusual carvings, I feel this weapon is a good item for show case consideration,
Thanks for looking!
Jeremy

Discussion Section

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!