Furthest shot taken with your rifle

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Mike

Re: Furthest shot taken with your rifle

Post by Mike »

BubbaDX wrote:
Mike wrote:There's a 300 yard range in Southern Missouri, I shot my 40 Tula and Polish M44 on it. Standard man-size targets, I got one hit out of five with the Tula and three out of five with the M44. That was all I shot though, I'll go back there next year and try and better that.
Where at? I would like to shoot further than 100yards whole I can still see halfway decent.
Gist Ranch Conservation Area, it's a very nice unmanned rage. They have 25, 50, 100 and 300, each is separate from the other so if you're on the 25 you don't have to wait for someone on the 300 while they change targets. They also have a shotgun range but you have to bring your own thrower.

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moa ... reaID=9729

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moa ... xtDoveMap=

http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/area_ ... 729map.pdf
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
NETNshawn

Post by NETNshawn »

Me and my brother in-law each shot our PU's on Friday at gong targets. 1 set at 200 and another at 225 yards. Both the targets were elevated approx. 50-75 ft. higher than our shoot benches. Targets approx. 7" x 13" in size and we were shooting basic 149gr Russian surplus. Was not looking for the grouping just the ping. Had so much fun we ran out of ammo. Today my shoulder feels like it was kick by a mule. :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: Funny how the ammo suddenly seems to be just gone .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Even in the pic I had some trouble making that out, and I blew up the screen in order to see it better.
:pointup:

Man I feel ya there, I did see the dot but I probably couldn't hit that with a Barrett 50 cal. If ya can't see it ya can't hit it..... :oops: You'll get old too. :chuckles:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's the rifles fault, or the ammo, sometimes both, if not that then it must be that bird that flew in the way and deflected the bullet, yea that's it :chuckles:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Even if I could see past 100 yards, I still wouldn't want to walk further than that to check my targets..........

I am hoping for the PU sniper to be delivered by Valentines day, for that I may go out to 110 yards..

My range is good for 150 meters, I would like to think with a 3 power scope I could see the backstop from there.

If I really need to try long range, I can always use Interstate-10, about a quarter mile from my house. There is a straight stretch there about two miles long. That way when I am through I can drive to check my targets. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Well, welcome to the forum to both of you, these rifles will hold their own, no military fields weapons that don't on purpose. Wear of course will make some of them less accurate than others, and most of us were never all that good a shots even when we had sharp young eyes :) Not at past 200 yards anyway when skill more than weapon comes into play. Sounds like the two of you will be having some fun come spring, good luck.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I would love to take a training class where they teach you the skills to shoot accurately at 1000 yards. It would be luck me getting on paper at that distance.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Military snipers practice non stop, and it is a team effort with someone acting as your spotter. A great deal comes into play at that distance, everything from wind to humidity content in the air effecting the bullet in flight. They could probably teach you the basic theory in a day or two, but a real training course would take months and involve physical conditioning, and well as some advanced mathematics.
Theodore Roosevelt
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

I've done 700 yards with my mmauser..... alot further with the.338 lapua and the 50 barrett ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
IvanPavlov

Post by IvanPavlov »

Lilkicker wrote:I guess no one shoots their rifles. One of the best parts about collecting is shooting what you collect.
I'm more of a shooter/hunter guy than a collector and I agree with you wholeheartedly !

Though I do admit to having a couple of very nice older S&W collector grade revolvers that I shoot, but treat very carefully.

I think I only have one pristine MN rifle - - - a Polish M44. The Finn 28-30 is in nice shape. The rest of them obviously were battle rifles.

<edited to conform to forum rules>
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some collectors collect, some shoot, most , like myself have enough sporting rifles that we don't have to shoot the antiques if we choose not to. I am perfectly happy with a .22 Marlin and my Winchester 94, I have already shot just about every milsurp in my collection, tens of thousands of rounds, the novelty wears off as the expense mounts, .22's and .30-30's I pack myself are cheaper .
Theodore Roosevelt
neorebel

Post by neorebel »

1000 yards in the USN with the M14.

200 yards with M16.

100 yards with all of my personal rifles which is just about all I do for hunting. I would like to have a competition at 200 yards for fun with my ol' PU against PU's.

But no 200 yard range near here....and it's winter!! arg.