RGUNS PU Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

RGUNS PU Sniper

Post by Darryl »

Mosin Nagant M91/30 PU Sniper Rifle, 7.62 x 54r Cal., 1943 Izhevsk
Matching ser numbers on barrel shank, bolt, magazine, butt plate, and EP'ed on scope mount
Matching "scope numbers" on scope, barrel shank (on left side) and EP'ed on scope mount
No counter bore and sharp shinny lands. Crowns looks excellent

Dolk

All Cleaned up!

This last photo shows the RGUNs import mark on the top of the receiver under the scope where you can't hardly see it.
But it proves it is a real sniper because RGUNS only put that mark there on sniper rifles. On their regular M91/30 it went on the left side and it was larger.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RGUNS PU Sniper

Post by Rongo »

It's a thing of beauty. 8-) 8-)

I would love to get one... I just have to convince myself to part with $800. ;)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Obviously very beautiful 8-) 8-) but i agree about parting with the $800 :shock:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

When R-guns runs out, the value will jump quickly to $1,200. Parting with the money now might not be as hard as you think! :shock:

I already have my $800 sniper, BTW. So it's not really that difficult for me to spend everyone else's money.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

...and then from $1200 to $1500 the next time they make a WW2 movie about the eastern front. Very nice PU 8-) 8-) 8-)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

So helpful Martin :mrgreen:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

RGUNS Sniper rifles are "WWII examples of PU sniper rifles that were arsenal refurbished post-war"

Some had parts interchanged with other PU snipers at the time of refurbishment. Others did not. Depended on the amount of repair the rifle needed at the time of refurbishment. Most if not all had swapped bolts and butt plates (from other PU snipers) during refurbishment. The bolt and butt plate was re-stamped after refurbishment so it is impossible to know if they are original to the rifle or not. (probably not).

They went to some trouble to make sure the barrel/receiver, stock, scope mount /base, and scope all stayed together on the same rifle if possible. To do this they electro penciled the scope mounts with
1. Scope number
and
2. Rifle serial number.
This allowed them to put the barrel/receiver back with the same mount and same scope.

They marked the serial number in the barrel channel on the stock. This would allow them to put the stock back with the barrel and receiver. Some have penciled in serial numbers partly shellacked over which shows the pencil marks were on “before” the shellac process.

All this makes sense as they would not have to "re fit" all these parts once everything was re-blued. It would all then fit with no adjustments. This is why they think they were electro penciled on the mount and marked in the barrel channel of the stock. If not, the stocks would show large gaps in some area as they were refitted. They eliminated this problem buy numbering the parts to keep everything together.

However, probably some had to have new scopes, some new stocks and so on. Those rifles that needed new stock and had them put on will not show serial numbers in the barrel channel. Those that needed new scope may not match the scope numbers on the side of the barrel shank and will not have the scope number on the mount electro penciled on or it might not match.

There are a lot of variations with the RGUNS snipers.

RGUNS sells them all for $800 now but, they used to sell them for

Tula for $900

Izhevsk for $800

$1000 they would handpick an all matching rifle. That would be all serial numbers and scope numbers matching.
Scope numbers matches barrel shank, and electro penciled number on mount.
Serial number on barrel shank matched number on stock and re-stamped number on bolt and butt plate and EP’s number on mount.
In other words, Except for the bolt and butt plate, this is the same rifle as in WWII except it was refurbished. The bolts do not have the pre fix letters on them and they originally did, so this shows they have been re-stamped.

Some will agree with this and some will not. But they are certainly a refurbished WWII PU sniper rifle refurbished by the Russian arsenals. Not much different than the M1 Garands, M1 carbines, 1903's and 1903a3 were done by the US arsenals after the War. In fact the Russians tried to keep the same rife (for the most part) together as far as the PU snipers go.

What is good about buying a RGUN sniper rifle is, It is guaranteed it is real, and that import mark on the top of the receiver (RGUNS never did that only on the snipers and in a small font) is the signature it is a real PU sniper and not a "re-sniper" a "put together or a "fake".

Dolk
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Great summary, Dolk. Thanks

desdem12 wrote:So helpful Martin :mrgreen:
Any time. Only too happy to lend a hand. 8-)
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

That's a gorgeous sniper ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I already have 1 R-Guns PU sniper, a 44 Tula, but a 2nd one seemed to be in order. Requested a 44 Izhevsk PU if they had one available and I will know by tomorrow afternoon if that is what they shipped. :toast:

And as to the $800.00 for a real WW2 sniper rifle, compaired to other WW2 sniper rifles it is a bargin. 8-)
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

So does anyone know how many RGuns has left???
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Rongoman wrote:So does anyone know how many RGuns has left???
No. If you listen to some, they ran out a year or so. :lol:

No one knows and RGUNS will not say. Not even a hint.

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

If I lay off buying anything for a month or so I'll have enough.

"Dang that entropy"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

dolk wrote:

Dolk
Well I bit the bullet and ordered one so they have one less. Thanks Dolk for that great write up earlier in the thread. I was saving for another CMP M-1 Garand but as they are currently "Out of Stock" Now I have to make sure the UPS man gets here when I'm home and SWMBO is asleep.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Ironnewt wrote:
dolk wrote:

Dolk
Well I bit the bullet and ordered one so they have one less. Thanks Dolk for that great write up earlier in the thread. I was saving for another CMP M-1 Garand but as they are currently "Out of Stock" Now I have to make sure the UPS man gets here when I'm home and SWMBO is asleep.

make that 2 less ....whating for Brown to deliever mine as I am typing this :toast:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

It arrived today and I had a bunch of stuff that I had to do so I could not open the box until about 9:00 PM. The first thing I notice is a nice plastic case Once I get that open, there she is. 1944 Izhevsk with all matching numbers (except for the bayonet) Very clean already, there's more cosmoline on the bayonet than the rest of the rifle although there is some on the mount and scope. Serial # on the mount is stamped. There is an extra number on the left side of the receiver just above the wood. I'm a a loss as to what it means and I don't have my copy of Lapin's book available right now. Serial Number on the scope is different (of course) but is marked 91/30. Overall I am very pleased and looking forward to getting her ready for a trip to the range. Pictures to follow asap. SWMBO was a bit put off by the price but when I explained it all she at least understood. Now I have to figure out how to explain the gun vault I bought at Dick's. The sale went off Saturday but the card was still on the display model so the guy gave it tome at that price. For what it's worth the "Stack On" 16 gun vault (not cabinet) has enough interior height to store full length rifles (M/N 91's, Gewehr 98's and M/N 91/30's) with out a hitch. I know I blew my budget for the year but all this stuff is only going to go up in price and I do have a few duplicates that I might let go to improve my collection. There's always O/T so I can eat!

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You got a bayonet? Where did you buy this sniper?

Dolk
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

They shipped a Bayo with mine also Dolk. :toast:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

That's new. :D

No one else got bayonets. They don't usually come with snipers (or haven't till now).

Dolk
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I got it through R Guns. It also had the ammunition pouch but no tools or oil bottle but I've got a few sets of them.