VZ 24 Mauser Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
6pack

VZ 24 Mauser Sniper

Post by 6pack »

Hi there,
I just bought one of these and am waiting to receive her. I'll post pics as soon as she comes in. Mine appears to have the scope mounts, but not any rings or the scope. I know from a lot of searching that these things are hard to find. Most of the posts I've seen are a couple of years old. Is there any new info about getting the correct scope for this rifle? I would prefer original over repop. Pics to follow. :)
Thanks,
Paul
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: VZ 24 Mauser Sniper

Post by Darryl »

And getting harder to find every day.

I have one of each type of the mount styles, and an extra set of mount bases, and the one mount. The mount is almost impossible to get and the scope is impossible. I have seen one scope for sale in the last 5 years and it was almost rusted through and it went for $500! Good luck finding the scope.

But, they fire really nice and have the smoothest action on any rifle I own.

This is what it should look like. This is the scope and the base is the hard one to find The top base is the easier (if you want to call it that) to find.

6pack

Post by 6pack »

Thanks for the info Dolk. I saw several of your other posts about these guys. :)

My mount is like the one on your shorter rifle (at least it looks shorter). I guess the rings clamp down around a dove tail like mount?

And now at least I have a pic of what the scope really looks like. Is there any one place that is better to look for them? Right now I'm checking Gun Broker, Guns America and eBay. With an eye on this forum and Gun Boards.

Thanks for the help,
Paul
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

6pack wrote:And now at least I have a pic of what the scope really looks like. Is there any one place that is better to look for them? Right now I'm checking Gun Broker, Guns America and eBay. With an eye on this forum and Gun Boards.

Thanks for the help,
Paul
If there was a place to look for them that you have not listed, I wouldn't tell you! :chuckles: .....just kidding.

I need one to complete the one I have that has the base, and mount already. It is waiting for a scope (almost at any price). And I am not the only one looking. If one goes on the market, it is quickly snatched up. If you find one, you will be very lucky.

The scope is an IOR scope and looks just like the photo above. The mount looks like the one on my rifle
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

6pack wrote:And now at least I have a pic of what the scope really looks like. Is there any one place that is better to look for them? Right now I'm checking Gun Broker, Guns America and eBay. With an eye on this forum and Gun Boards.

Thanks for the help,
Paul
If there was a place to look for them that you have not listed, I wouldn't tell you! :chuckles: .....just kidding.

I need one to complete the one I have that has the base, and mount already. It is waiting for a scope (almost at any price). And I am not the only one looking. If one goes on the market, it is quickly snatched up. If you find one, you will be very lucky.

The scope is an IOR scope and looks just like the photo above (but not the base and mount, just the scope). Most people just stick a "time appropriate" "filler scope" on and are looking for the original. You will notice it looks a lot like a PEM Russian scope without the "bell" ends. In fact, you see people with reproduction PEM's on them all the time. Just a "filler" scope.

Your mount looks like this one (probably). This one has the dove tail style mount bases

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Proper scope you are looking for:

PEM scope on a VZ24 sniper base: (Incorrect scope for this rifle). Don't let anyone tell you that they sometimes used PEM scopes on these rifles. That is a rumor and they never used PEM's. That was started to try and make their rifle legit with the PEM on it, but documentation of these rifles show the IOR only.

6pack

Post by 6pack »

I hear ya about not telling me your sources. :)

Those mount photos look just like the one I bought. I'll post up my pics as soon as I get her. :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Nah, I would let you know, because I look for them, but not activity. There could be ones getting by me. But you are looking in the right places except, I have seen one on ebay. Search "WWII scope", or "romanian scope", or "vz24 sniper"

I knew if I looked hard enough, I'd find more info on these rifles:

Here is the right setup for your rifle. Mount base, mount, and scope:

Correct ammo pouch:

Another photo of just the mount: (very hard to find). There are reproductions and they are very hard to find also.

My first one came with a battle pack of WWII German ammo (collectable) the ammo pouches, and a bayonet. All original. I only paid $165 for it all! :thumbsup:

Second one I paid $300 for without anything else. And now I see them sometimes around $400 to $600 with the base on but no mount or scope. At some point they must have removed all the mounts and scopes for some reason. I wish I knew where they ended up!

Good luck.

Dolk

Old battle pack of 8mm that came with it:

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Sorry to "plug" your thread up with photos. When you get your sniper, start a new thread for it!

It is a small club you are now in. Not many of these made it through. It deserves it's own thread! ;mywink;

Dolk
6pack

Post by 6pack »

I don't mind. It's a great collection of pics to help me out. :thumbsup:

Now if the sucker would just get here!
6pack

Post by 6pack »

Okay, I got her in. This is also posted on the forum I spend most of my time on. There was some discussion there about whether this rifle was also listed on GB in July, which was bought by who I bought this rifle from. The person I bought this from said it is not the same one, but the stock markings sure look the same. I'm not sure what to make of this mystery.

Stock markings. Very similar, most would say identical, to the other auction mentioned above.

Scope mount and top of bolt. At the front of the bolt is a small Nazi eagle (close-up below)

Close-up of front bolt eagle.

The bolt handle side. Behind the bolt handle, on the rear of the bolt are two small Nazi eagles (close-up below).

Close-up of rear bolt eagle. I can't read the numbers below these.

Top, rear of bolt/safety. These are the only two numbers that appear to match.

Left side.

Serial numbers. The second number is stamped over.

I only see the three eagles; all on the bolt. A guy that collects German WWII firearms that I know looked at it and suggested that it was a K98 German bolt. He couldn't say anything about the rifle.

So, let me hear what you think. :)
silent sniper

Post by silent sniper »

Hello to everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone is interested in a IOR Scope, I tried to post some pics but i don't know what problem is.
if anyone is interested I can send email with pictures.
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

Hey Paul, outstanding find, excellent and a good looking Rifle !

If I may ask, how much $$ you spent to purchase it.

A quote "if one is afraid of the answer, don't ask the question"
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired

Vietnam Veteran
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

Nice romanian VZ24. I have one that is an XR prefix rifle too. Yours is 18,805 units off mine.
6pack

Post by 6pack »

silent sniper wrote:Hello to everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone is interested in a IOR Scope, I tried to post some pics but i don't know what problem is.
Yes, I'm interested. PM Sent.
paul6892 wrote:Hey Paul, outstanding find, excellent and a good looking Rifle !

If I may ask, how much $$ you spent to purchase it.
Thanks Paul. :) It was $345 originally, and because of some misrepresentations the seller kicked back $30, so eventually $315. He was supposed to send some ammo too, but didn't.

This one is on GB now:

Gun Broker VZ24 sniper

The scope and mount are different from what's above, but the mount looks like it would fit mine. What do you think: original stuff, or aftermarket?

This one too:

VZ24 sniper no scope

These rings look correct, per above pics.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

6pack wrote:
silent sniper wrote:Hello to everyone, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone is interested in a IOR Scope, I tried to post some pics but i don't know what problem is.
Yes, I'm interested. PM Sents.
I've contacted this guy. He is in Europe some place and that is a risk. He also wanted $1,500 for his scope.......really? I,ve seen them for under $600 here in the states.

Nice sniper rifle!

Dolk
6pack

Post by 6pack »

Thanks Dolk; I'll let you know what he says. Any opinion on either of those links?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Top link is of a VZ24 sniper ....maybe? and with the wrong scope. The mount looks like on of those "aftermarket" ones they were selling not too long ago. (It's OK, we call the scope and mount a "filler").

Second link looks all correct, but it's had to tell without seeing more photos, but I'd say it's correct.

Dolk
6pack

Post by 6pack »

That was my thought. Thanks for sharing yours. :)
6pack

Post by 6pack »

I'm still searching for the scope and mount for this sucker. I haven't even seen one! I never heard from the Silent Sniper. If anyone has a line on one please let me know. :)